We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reactivated Ethiopia 6090khz?  (Read 204 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reactivated Ethiopia 6090khz?
« on: February 20, 2024, 0455 UTC »
I think Amhara State Radio in Ethiopia has reactivated/refurbished/repaired their 6090 khz transmitter. I absolutely scan the lower broadcast bands, 5800 to 6200 nightly here and havent heard even a carrier until this past Saturday.

My email to a  few friends on Saturday night

They’re listed with a 0356UTC sign on, I’ve never heard them.

You’d expect the transmitters sites there to be pretty ramshackle

Well today about 0330 I had music that was very decidedly African continent sounding. Just a long ass instrumental…. Signal was acutually pretty good.  Modulation wasn’t great but it was better than Iran, Cuba and Cairo.

The only Possible thing I heard would be Amhara state radio… but this sounded quality wise, too good to be them, but based on the music, it had to be them… I think

Notes from email on Mon Feb 19th

Almost positive this is Ethiopia now.

Heard music about 0305 tonight but it was the same long instrumental tune ….heard it fade out and start again.    Then around 0352 or so a guy talked…. Heard actual music with singing after him, then about 0401 a lady with what sounded like news.

Voice wasn’t as well modulated as music … signal peaked about 0330 for me and started getting worse by 0346
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reactivated Ethiopia 6090khz?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 0354 UTC »
This past Saturday, I spotted an unknown 6090khz.. but after 3 days of listening, Im pretty sure i determined thats Amhara State Radio. Something I've NEVER heard, EVER.

Well, tonight, I spotted someone on 6110. I think ive heard them before a few times, but zero modulation.

Tonight, I have a good signal AND audio.. and it's Radio Fana ...very african continent sounding music and speech that seems to be the same language as i heard on 6090.. different programming, but the same language as both are in east africa.  amharic.
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns