We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 8436 times)

rdla4

Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 0034 UTC »
Likewise, still running a PRO-2004...Display is dim (I Use a flashlight...High tech).This one is modified for 400 channels, cell band is enabled, and I bought a circuit board a number of years ago, that allows you to scan a swath of frequencies using the "limits". It will take active frequencies and add them into the memory. Unfortunately---I forgot how it works!

Over the years mine has decided that it really wants to listen 5kHz below the real freq, but other than that and the dim display, it still plays!

I still keep it going, mostly looking for skip on the old "Low" police band.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 1545 UTC »
I pulled my pro-34 out of storage earlier this year. The memory cell / capacitor / whatever it is that keeps the memory going is probably dead, as it loses it's memories if I power it off. 

But there's not much point in it having a memory as there is basically nothing to listen to -- PSB is all trunked, railroads use narrow band (= lower power, hard to hear), 2 meters is hardly used around here, and I can hear the weather band on my old analog PSB radios if I need to hear it. Same with air band.  Analog rules.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 2357 UTC »
I still use a old PRO-2021. I like it. Lots to listen to here if you are into that sort of thing. Air traffic, water bombers, baby monitors, still the RCMP, I think.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Mentholyptus

• Ligonier Pennsylvania area
  • "Happy Homemaker by day... Pirate SWLer by night!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 1515 UTC »
I used to have a PRO-2004 back when they were new. I couldn't afford it, so I used Radio Shack's layaway! Took me about 3 months to get it, but it was worth the wait. It never gave me a day's trouble in the 5 years I had it. Did the speedup, 400 channels, and unblock mods on it too (used to do electronic assembly, piece of cake). Picked up an old PRO-2006 for cheap in nice shape about a year ago.

I have several PRO-2021s. Although they don't go above 512 MHz, they work great, there's still tons of stuff to listen to between 30-512 MHz, and you can pick them up for practically nothing anymore. It's a real easy mod to replace the Motorola connector with a BNC... mounts thru the same hole, perfect fit.

I also have a PRO-39 Hyperscan handheld. Goes up to 960 MHz. I put a Watson 889 whip antenna on it, and it's a real DX magnet now! Great antenna. Haven't gotten around to unblocking it though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 1835 UTC by Mentholyptus »
Primary radio: Icom R75
Secondary radios: Kenwood R1000, Icom R9000
Thirdary radio: Tecsun 880 Portable
Antennas: Par EF-SWL - W6LVP Loop - 25 ft  longwire
=====> Please eQSL to:  pm121152@gmail.com  <=====

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 1835 UTC »
RE: unblocking: Are scanners still blocked at the 800 Mhz cell frequencies?  It seems since all the cells went digital, there would be no need to block them, they would all just be hash.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 2150 UTC »
RE: unblocking: Are scanners still blocked at the 800 Mhz cell frequencies?  It seems since all the cells went digital, there would be no need to block them, they would all just be hash.

Yes, scanners are still blocked for 800 Mhz cell freqs.  A modern example of  “liberty, once lost, is lost forever”.  In general unless a law or regulation has a sunset clause in it they are not often rescinded.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Nella F.

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 2208 UTC »
I pulled my pro-34 out of storage earlier this year. The memory cell / capacitor / whatever it is that keeps the memory going is probably dead, as it loses it's memories if I power it off. 
But there's not much point in it having a memory as there is basically nothing to listen to -- PSB is all trunked, railroads use narrow band (= lower power, hard to hear), 2 meters is hardly used around here, and I can hear the weather band on my old analog PSB radios if I need to hear it. Same with air band.  Analog rules.

Don't know if you read my "memorial" :www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,7954.msg21219.html#msg21219