We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What kind of OTH radar could this be..  (Read 328 times)

Offline SM5003SWL

• View Profile
    • Email
What kind of OTH radar could this be..
« on: March 29, 2024, 1209 UTC »
Got this signal around 6255kHz a couple days ago which sounded like a faster version of the Duga but it has some differences compared to other OTH radars I've noticed..
Besides the fast pulses it also had a carrier at 600Hz, and a subset of under and overtones from ~2600-3200Hz.

https://vocaroo.com/14cJp8IeOGq3

Besides that the pulses also momentarely stopped however the carriers remained...

Does anyone know which system causes these particular signals?
Cheers! //Greg.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 1214 UTC by SM5003SWL »

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of OTH radar could this be..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 1849 UTC »
This is not an OTHR.

I don't know what it is, specifically, but for a variety of reasons (features of or missing from the signal) I know it is almost certainly not a radar.  Or if it is (since almost any signal can be) a radar it is an extraordinarily poorly designed one.  I suspect it is data of some kind, but to get a better handle on what it is would require a different recording, preferably an IQ recording or an audio recording in FM or SSB (I prefer USB) that captures both "carriers" and everything between them.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns