We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unknown-Unidentified Signal 8772:  (Read 1332 times)

Offline RickF

• View Profile
Unknown-Unidentified Signal 8772:
« on: September 29, 2013, 0342 UTC »
Not quite sure what this signal is sounds like CW unfortunately I never mastered CW.  Thought it was interesting due to the signal being xmitted on 8772 Sunday 9-2- 0300 GMT, a frequency I could find no previous listings for on the Global Frequency data base.  Actual signal does not start until 43 seconds into the clip.

Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/rickf-2
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 0348 UTC by RickF »

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unknown-Unidentified Signal 8772:
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 0359 UTC »
Nice catch, but its not cw.  Weird how it keeps changing pitch.  Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown-Unidentified Signal 8772:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 1315 UTC »
I would not place too much emphasis on something not being in the Global Frequency Database, the DB is not very Global when you get right down to it and I find far more frequencies that are not in it than are in it.  Don’t get me wrong, it is a good source, but an incomplete one and best when used along with other sources.

The signal is not CW, no doubt there.  It appears to be machine generated as the tones keep repeating some pretty specific durations.  Some “long” tones are actually made up of several short tones strung together, sometimes with very short duration gaps at the short tone junction.

My first guess would be some kind of broken FSK source or something along those lines.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA