We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 15340 SOH relay RFA 1630 UTC May 25 2024  (Read 414 times)

Offline N2MLP

• DX Legend
  • NE Pennsylvania USA
  • Eqsl's to n2mlp.reports@Gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
15340 SOH relay RFA 1630 UTC May 25 2024
« on: May 25, 2024, 1632 UTC »
15340   SOH relay RFA       location Pingtung

S 7
Chinese Speaker
ALL RECEPTION IS DIRECT  QSL's are greatly appreciated!

Receivers:  FT-950--RSPdx (SDR)
Antennas:
560FT LONG WIRE
40M double bazooka
43 ft vertical
G5VR
Portable setup YB-400-Datong AD37active antenna or 25 ft wire

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 15340 SOH relay RFA 1630 UTC May 25 2024
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 1858 UTC »
id be shocked if someone3 in NE PA was hearing SOH.. likely a chinese jammer with CNR or CRI programming.

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 0042 UTC »
Agreed with Paul. Without a report indicating something that positively identifies the broadcast as SOH, it's not SOH.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 1755 UTC »
Agreed with Paul. Without a report indicating something that positively identifies the broadcast as SOH, it's not SOH.

have i heard SOH in alaska? Possibly but not likely... when i hear asian languages thats listed as SOH.. i just pass it on by because the signal is way too strong to be SOH, even at my location.

Theres a Dxer in a non HFU FB group whos repeatedly posted logs claiming to have heard SOH, ive alerted him once or twice.. but he continues to do it, saying he couldnt find a match anywhere to cNR or SOH fropm his QTH in the rocky mountains... but never says hes verified with a stream on SOH's website

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 2117 UTC »
have i heard SOH in alaska? Possibly but not likely... when i hear asian languages thats listed as SOH.. i just pass it on by because the signal is way too strong to be SOH, even at my location.

Theres a Dxer in a non HFU FB group whos repeatedly posted logs claiming to have heard SOH, ive alerted him once or twice.. but he continues to do it, saying he couldnt find a match anywhere to cNR or SOH fropm his QTH in the rocky mountains... but never says hes verified with a stream on SOH's website

The member "Ron - Calif." here has heard it and provided enough detail to confirm reception. But he's a long time DXer and he's right on the beach at California. I trust all his logs implicitly because of that plus the detail he gives. I forget the frequency, maybe a weird on just outside 49m, but that's one he says is never jammed. It's not impossible to get if you know what to look for (a big clue is to listen for time pips at the top of the hour - CNR1 has them, SOH doesn't it), but he knows the SOH station ID in Mandarin as well.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 0215 UTC »
A reminder:

Actually it is relatively easy to ID an UNID Chinese station that you think may be jamming SOH, RFA, etc. Item number 1 below is the easiest, positive confirmation if the UNID is in fact CNR1 or SOH. Perhaps my other suggestions will also help? Ron (May 26, 2024)

Identifying Sound of Hope (Taiwan) vs CNR-1 jamming Sound of Hope (SOH): http://bdxc.org.uk/asiapac.pdf  [pg. 18]  

For me, it has always been fun trying to tie down if a station heard is really a Sound of Hope reception or just the CNR-1
program jamming. Here are a few suggestions, based on my years of observations:

1) One positive way is to listen at the top-of-the-hour. CNR-1 programming always has time pips, while SOH never has any.

2) Find a known CNR-1 frequency, that is to say a non-jamming frequency (I use 6125 kHz.), then check to find if it
is // to the station in question.

3) SOH is a religious station, so has a more refined format. At ToH usually has news and then a lot of monologues. Rather
rare to hear music. While the CNR-1 format is fairly contemporary; many short segments; often with music; in general has
a much more upbeat format than SOH.

4) After many years of listening to SOH, I find their audio slightly muffled; not a lot, just enough to be noticeable, especially
when compared to the crisp audio of CNR-1.

5) It is not uncommon for SOH to be slightly off-frequency; while CNR-1 is on the exact frequency (xx.00).

6) Finally, if the station in question has fair to good reception, it almost certainly is CNR-1 jamming. SOH stations use rather low
power, hence fair-good reception would be extremely rare.

7) If you are fortunate enough to actually hear SOH, their top-of-the-hour ID is "Xiwang zhi sheng guoji guangbo diantai" (Sound
of Hope international broadcast station), given twice (once by OM and once by YL), then into the news. My audio of a typical ToH
SOH ID format is posted at https://app.box.com/s/kk142tja5d42nbkcvq7zvqqqokhtmfzi .
Ron Howard, 17 May 2021 via WOR iog