We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Who to quit stage after 50th anniversary world tour  (Read 3029 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
The Who to quit stage after 50th anniversary world tour
« on: October 24, 2013, 2115 UTC »
http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/the-who-to-quit-stage-after-50th-anniversary-world-tour-8898739.html

ALISTAIR FOSTER

Published: 23 October 2013
Updated: 13:21, 23 October 2013

The Who have announced that their touring days are over and that they will bow out with a final set of gigs to mark their 50th anniversary in 2015.

The legendary rockers, whose first album My Generation was released in 1965, have sold more than 100 million records and kept touring despite the death of founding members Keith Moon and John Entwistle. Singer Roger Daltrey, 69, and guitarist Pete Townshend, 68, were last night in Hammersmith for the screening of Sensation — The Story Of The Who’s Tommy, a documentary on the making of their 1969 rock opera.

Townshend said: “For the 50th anniversary we’ll tour the world. It’ll be the last big one for us. There are still plenty of places we’ve not played. It would be good to go to eastern Europe and places that haven’t heard us play all the old hits.”

Both stars have had to deal with debilitating illnesses. Townshend suffered from the hearing condition tinnitus and Daltrey needed regular throat checks after having a pre-cancerous growth removed in 2010.

A source close to the band said the pair now plan to work on solo projects.

Daltrey’s will be his first in more than 20 years. The singer this year hinted that The Who were considering marking their anniversary after witnessing how well the Rolling Stones’ half-century concerts in London and the US were received.

A special-edition box set of Tommy is out on November 11.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Who to quit stage after 50th anniversary world tour
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 2333 UTC »
Makes ya kinda wonder why. The Rolling Stones are another good example. Charlies Watts of the RS is 70+ years old. I think it pretty much for one thing MONEY! The famous artist Salvador Dali, in his twilight years made some pretty horrendous art, pen doodles, etc. just to get his signature on it for big bucks.
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Nella F.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 0005 UTC »
FIFTY-YEARS!!! No, wait! That's right, 'cause I'm 64. Wasn't there a song about turning 64? Sooo long ago.  :(
Owned four vinyl copies of "Who's Next" 'cause I wore 'em out listenin' to 'em. Hu? Speak up!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 0017 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 1549 UTC »
Yep... it's time...

"WHO" wants to see Pete smash an amp with a walker...???

Might be fun but takes the fun out of smashing crappy equipment...

Pete stopped using SG guitars bc they wouldn't brake like Strats...

oh well...

Rolling Stones... stopped listening to them when Brian died...

de ka1iic
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 1608 UTC »
The Who have been doing "final tours" for the last 20 years..... that's what makes it a joke for me.

I won't contribute to the coffers this time around but at one time, I was a good customer.   ;)
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Nella F.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 2336 UTC »
Yep... it's time..."WHO" wants to see Pete smash an amp with a walker...???

He could empty his urinary & colostomy bags on it then step back & watch it short out!  :o
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 2047 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 0146 UTC »
Hope they take it as far as it can go.  As long as they can play, and still have the ability and will to do it, I think it's cool.  Age didn't keep Muddy Waters or B.B. King from touring or playing.

RE: Strats: actually, Pete said that Fenders didn't break as well as the other brands, that they were tough guitars.  He went from SGs to Les Pauls. The ones that broke the easiest were the Rickenbackers, they were very fragile guitars.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 0158 UTC »
FIFTY-YEARS!!! No, wait! That's right, 'cause I'm 64. Wasn't there a song about turning 64? Sooo long ago.  :(
Owned four vinyl copies of "Who's Next" 'cause I wore 'em out listenin' to 'em. Hu? Speak up!

Who's Next - One of the Greatest albums ever! I'm 60 and can remember when the albulm cover slightly offended my father. (peed on a Monolyth and walking away zipping up their zippers) I still think it was a cool cover :D We listen to the album at work all the time!
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 0236 UTC »
I saw them at Anaheim Stadium in '72 or so. We had seats in the stands behind home plate, and they were outside the center field wall, and it was still just about the loudest concert that I have ever been to.

It was festival seating in the outfield, and a couple of my college buddies decided they were going out there to get closer to the band. They got caught in the crush, which was pushing people towards the outfield wall. There were a lot of announcements over the PA system about the danger of being smashed against the wall, yet people still kept pouring onto the field.

My friends were gone for close to an hour, and I figured that they had either been crushed to death, or arrested. Finally they showed back up, bruised and battered, but not seriously injured. They said that they had been forced closer and closer to the wall, and figured the end was near. When they finally got right up to the wall, they saw a a big crowd of bouncer types at the foot of the wall, hoisting people up to another crowd at the top of the wall. They themselves were grabbed and heaved over the wall like sacks of potatoes, where they hit the ground pretty hard. They then had to make their way around the outside of the stadium and back to their seating section.

It was a great concert. Oh to be young, good looking, and stupid again, unlike now, where I'm just good looking...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 0238 UTC by Fansome »

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 1046 UTC »
Jeez, All you guys are really old!  Now I don't feel so bad   ;D

Thanks and You're Welcome!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Fansome

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 0351 UTC »
I thought I told you kids to get offa my website!!!

D*mn hippies...

Jeez, All you guys are really old!  Now I don't feel so bad   ;D

Thanks and You're Welcome!

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 1411 UTC »
Oh, and I forgot to say,