We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KHAQ FM running at 50% power due to bullet holes in the transmission line  (Read 2938 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
BSTA - 20131105AJG

Exhibit 4
Description: EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES

THE STATION IS CURRENTLY OPERATING AT APPROXIMATELY 50% OF AUTHORIZED POWER DUE TO BULLET HOLES IN THE STATION'S TRANSMISSION LINE. THE LICENSEE'S CONSULTING ENGINEER HAS INSPECTED THE LINE AND DETERMINED THAT IT MUST BE REPLACED. AS A RESULT, THE LICENSEE RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS THAT IT BE PERMITTED TO CONTINUE TO OPERATE AT APPROXIMATELY 50% OF AUTHORIZED POWER UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION LINE CAN BE REPLACED.

GRANT OF THIS REQUEST WOULD BE IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST INASMUCH AS IT WOULD PERMIT THE STATION TO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC, ALBEIT AT REDUCED POWER, UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION LINE CAN BE REPLACED.
Minneapolis, MN

rdla4

Been there done that---They are lucky they are on the air at all! When that happened to an FM I worked at, the schrap got down in the line, we ended up sweeping the line, determined where this stuff had settled took a deep breath and cut the line. Luck was with us---there it was all charcoaled. We had enough hardware to do a in line splice, and got back on the air later that day. Between that and the bullet holes the line would not hold pressure, so we patched it up as best we could and started counting pennies for new line.

Not one of my favorite days....

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bullet holes? Okay, people... Who armed Pigmeat?
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
They're lucky none of the bullets chipped the paint on the antenna tower, or the FCC would have fined them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

LMAO! Bloody rednecks :D

Peace!

rdla4

They're lucky none of the bullets chipped the paint on the antenna tower, or the FCC would have fined them.

Quote of the day-----and very much correct. Dont forget to laminate your EAS logs either.....

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email

Even if the station was not to fault for the holes?

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Bullet holes? Okay, people... Who armed Pigmeat?

My Grandaddy when I was 4.

If you leave one those antenna things sticking up in the air, it's going to get shot at. It's only sporting that you aim for the transmission line.

If you're looking for spectacle and danger, I suggest hunting pole pigs with 12 gauge slugs. Your ears are going to ring for life, but it's worth it.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
In other STAs, there are quite a number of stations at reduced power or off the air due to theft of copper wire at their transmitter sites.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
It used to be fairly common to see beacons shot out in this way.  Sometimes they miss and hit the feedline.  Years ago there was an article in Radio Guide about a tower that kept having their tower beacon shot out.  A climber was sent up and was able to line up the two holes in the beacon and figure out what yard the bullet came from.  A bill for the repairs was sent to the offending landowner, and the problem never happened again :)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile

Even if the station was not to fault for the holes?

Even if they are not at fault for why the discrepancy exists, if they know it exist or should reasonably know it exist, then yes, they are still responsible (in the eyes of the FCC).

The chipped paint was a bit tongue in cheek I suspect, but not far off.  Your ducks have to be in a row, or it will cost you, regardless of if the issue is important or not.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oh I see...

I was thinking that it would be unfair if the FCC did some sort of surprise inspection when a station had no chance to know or repair the damage

reportecho1@gmail.com