We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Two catches to America  (Read 2492 times)

Nella F.

Two catches to America
« on: December 02, 2013, 1826 UTC »
Caught R. Ext. Espana 0000-01000utc. 6.055, woman historian/author interviewed about "wars" ww1 highlighted and mentioning Bush's Iraq invasion. Interview ended with presenter reading a poem which was included in Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem" & was aired, taking up the second half hour.
The signal was unusually strong (I've sent them an email for eqsl) with slight fading.

Also heard R. Romania @0100utc., loud & clear on 7.325 & 6.145mhz., a piano jazz segment...smokin'!
(back to sunny But cold!)  8)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Two catches to America
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 1740 UTC »
If the signal was unusually strong, they must still be using Costa Rica? 

I read on a Swedish DX site they may soon be yanking the plug on Costa Rica and using the transmitters in Spain instead.  Cost saving measure perhaps.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 1809 UTC »
I don't think they use Costa Rica for this transmission and it might already be closed??
Not sure.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 0740 UTC »
Costa Rica has been closed for about a month. I think it went dark at the end of October. I find REE to be quite strong here in the center of the US at various times of the day from Noblejas. The transmissions from Costa Rica were not just strong, they were waaay strong , often splattering for 15 Khz on each side of the fundamental. Especially on football games when someone would score a "GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL". The word would be stretched out for about 15 - 20 seconds & would cover 30 khz of spectrum.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 1019 UTC »
Ah yes...

If I am right, the guy that said that word for ages once held it for over two minutes and is somewhat of a legend
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 1555 UTC »
I heard that too. i was understating it when I said 15 - 20 seconds. The announcer went on much longer than that most times. I remember there was a joke about that habit of Spanish speaking announcers on the Simpsons once, so it is not just one guy... "it's a thing".
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ssfahrer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 2120 UTC »
Check here for the latest on Radio Exterior de Espana (in Spanish): http://www.rtve.es/radio/20131022/nuevas-frecuencias-para-america-africa/772240.shtml, which says they are on 6125 KHz at the time you were listening.... I don't know who or what to believe, but http://www.short-wave.info/?freq=6055 confirms REE at 6055.

And as for Radio Rumania International, frequency info can be had here: http://www.rri.ro/en_gb/frecvente-259 - they list slightly different frequencies than you have listed....

PS: I like this www.short-wave.info site (just found it via internet search): looks VERY INTERESTING....

Nella F.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 2313 UTC »
PS: I like this www.short-wave.info site (just found it via internet search): looks VERY INTERESTING....

I agree & printed out All India Radio.  8)