We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Proposes AM Radio Changes To Give The Band A Boost  (Read 4807 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
FCC Proposes AM Radio Changes To Give The Band A Boost
« on: December 07, 2013, 1910 UTC »
http://www.npr.org/2013/12/03/248362533/fcc-proposes-changes-to-give-am-radio-a-boost

AM radio once played a central role in American life. The family would gather around the Philco to hear the latest Western or detective drama. The transistor radio was where baby boomers first heard the Beatles and other Top 40 hits. And, of course, there's no better way to take in a ballgame.

But the AM band is not what it used to be. Now, it's mostly a mix of talk shows and infomercials. According to the Federal Communications Commission, in the mid-1980s, AM radio still claimed 30 percent of the nation's radio listening hours. By 2010, that had dwindled to 17 percent. And among younger listeners, the number is just 4 percent. Part of the problem, says FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai, is that the AM signal is getting increasingly hard to hear.

"Whether you're outside and you're getting interference from a power line, or you're inside and everything from the bulbs in your house to the cable box on top of your TV send out signals that conflict with the AM radio signal, and so for broadcasters trying to reach an audience, it's more and more difficult for them to do that," Pai says.

Pai and other commissioners are proposing a number of fixes for the interference problem, including making it easier for AM stations to move their signal to the FM band. They've also proposed modifying the rules that require many AM stations to power down at night.

Pai says AM radio is an important source of information, especially during an emergency like a natural disaster. Keeping the medium thriving is also important for minority broadcasters, two-thirds of whom broadcast on AM.

Pai also admits to some nostalgia of his own.

"I still remember almost 25 years ago listening to the KLKC 1540 broadcast of my high school basketball championship game in 1987, when my mom wouldn't allow me to go to the game in person so I had to go into my room, sulking a little bit, and tune it to 1540, and I listened to the broadcast that way," Pai says.

That station, KLKC, in Parsons, Kan., still broadcasts high school sports, says Brandon Nivens, the general manager. He says his station is taking other steps to increase its listening audience, including streaming its signal on the Internet.

"Getting into the online aspect of it really helps a lot. We actually stream our AM station online, so that kind of helps reach into the digital realm and kind of get a younger demographic that way," he says.

KLKC, like many in rural America, is tied to its community through local news. The station provides services that includes a swap show called The Trading Post, where on a recent day listeners offered everything from fresh-picked pecans to a used guitar amplifier for sale.

It's this kind of intimate connection AM broadcasters have with their listeners, Pai says, that makes revitalizing the AM band important.

"Whether it's the long-haul trucker who got used to listening to a station as he or she drove across the country to kids who listen to baseball games on warm summer nights, there is something about AM radio that's really embedded in our national culture, and so long as I have a perch here at the FCC I hope to advocate for that to continue," Pai says.

Not all of AM radio is struggling. In fact, five of the top 10 revenue-producing stations are on the AM dial. That's one reason Dennis Wharton of the National Association of Broadcasters is optimistic and supportive of the FCC's proposals.

"There's a lot to be said for AM radio, and the challenges are purely related to interference, and [if] we get those resolved, the industry is going to boom," Wharton says.

The FCC is gathering public comments on the proposed rule changes and may vote on them by next spring.
Minneapolis, MN

cmradio

Re: FCC Proposes AM Radio Changes To Give The Band A Boost
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 0558 UTC »
All I hear on AMDX is sports and right wingnuts spewing vitriolic rants :(

Peace!

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 2021 UTC »
Exactly, Cmradio.  All I usually get on AM, within the States at least, is either right-wing ranting or the same sportscast again and again.  not every station conforms to these formats, and thank goodness, and there are always cross-border signals to enjoy, but if the FCC wants to revitalize AM, they'd do well to look at programming rather than signal strength and clarity.  ... I know, I know, we all know that already.  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 2042 UTC »
Exactly, Cmradio.  All I usually get on AM, within the States at least, is either right-wing ranting or the same sportscast again and again

Don't forget the pirates!
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 1520 UTC »
and how could we forget a local in my area WDAS AM 1480 which airs- smooth jazz. Yup you read that right.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 1640 UTC »
and how could we forget a local in my area WDAS AM 1480 which airs- smooth jazz. Yup you read that right.

I must make a note to try and hear that one! I like smooth Jazz
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 1652 UTC »
I loved and still love good AM radio, I'm from that generation that listened at night to WLS and other stations.

There are several forces at work against AM radio, the first of which (in my opinion) is audio quality.  Listeners have so many choices and AM audio isn't of the quality that this group is used to.  This argument is made to me when I attempt to introduce old jazz/blues to people - "I like it but the sound quality is intolerable."  So, Charley Patton goes unheard.   :-[

YES, the programming on AM radio is dismal at best (my opinion again).

And there's nothing like a good baseball/football game on AM radio given the right broadcasters.  I grew up listening to Jack Buck & the Cards.  Not bad at all, eh?   ;D
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 2054 UTC »
if the FCC wants to revitalize AM, they'd do well to look at programming

There's something rather chilling about that thought...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 2133 UTC »
Ff - it's only 5kw day 1 kw night
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 2222 UTC »
Ff - it's only 5kw day 1 kw night

What has that got to do with Big Brother using a heavier hand in controlling the content being broadcast?  Maybe you desire to live in a totalitarian state.  I don't. 
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 2224 UTC »
IMHO... the best thing the FCC could do to help AM RADIO is to get a handle on all of the so called PART 15 devices that create so darn much noise and drive people away from listening to AM...

I mean really, some of the trash that is being sold in this Country claims to be PART 15 compliant but is in fact a miniature jamming device.  Some of the devices don't even have a PART 15 notice on them.

As far as I'm concern that is the biggest problem and the noise can be heard at my QTH all the way up into the VHF region... that includes the aircraft band/public service bands etc... Does someone have to die before some kind of action might be taken??? meaning enforcing the law...  pirate radio isn't the problem but these junk consumer products are...!!!

Sorry guys just blowing off steam...

Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

cmradio

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 1238 UTC »

I must make a note to try and hear that one! I like smooth Jazz

Amen to that! 8)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 1445 UTC »
I tune the AM band every night, listen to it sometimes during the afternoon, and maybe half of the stations are 'right wing' talk or sports talk.  

Meanwhile, the rest of the band has arguably more variety than you hear on FM -- for example, nearly all the multicultural programming (Mexican, South Asian, Chinese, Russian, Native American, and Korean) is on AM.  Non-right wing, non-sports talk like Coast to Coast, Jim Bohannon / America In The Morning, John Batchelor, Bloomberg Business, Jon Grayson, Ground Zero, etc. -- all on AM.  Niche music formats like Classic Country, Oldies, and Standards -- they're all on AM.  Old Time Radio? you won't hear that on FM around here. Urban oldies? all on AM. There are also US public radio stations on AM.  

The only programming that AM 'lacks' is the same eight or nine monotonous, repetitious FM music formats.  So I don't see lack of diverse programming as the number one problem with AM.  
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

cmradio

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 0714 UTC »
You must be in a good spot, 'cause I don't hear 'em :(

Peace!

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 2226 UTC »
Here in Ohio I do hear a fair mix of material on AM but for the most part it is sports talk, religious and the like...  It is very hard for me to hear any of it tho because there is so much noise from power lines, consumer equipment and what I think might be RF heaters used in manufacturing... they 'cook' a lot of plastic around here... i.e. extruded rubber and plastic for auto wind shields etc...

Have a great day and a better tomorrow!
Vince
ka1iic

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!