We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: icom ic-r3  (Read 6672 times)

Offline michaeltylerwv

• View Profile
    • Email
icom ic-r3
« on: December 10, 2013, 2055 UTC »
would a icom ic-r3 handheld receiver and a preamp with a handheld beam of maybe 6 elements be suitable for listening to sonde balloons??? I have always been interested in trying to listening in and tracking them......thanks...mike

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: icom ic-r3
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 2315 UTC »
My (limited) experience is that unless the sonde passes right overhead, you need a decent external antenna. i've been using a modified wifi dish antenna, feeding an R-7000, with a pre-amp. I have also tried using an AOR-8200, but the signal is noticeably weaker than with the R-7000.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree