We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Receiving Phased Array with Small Electric or Magnetic Active Wideband Elements  (Read 6568 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I came across this paper, and thought it would be interesting to others here:

Receiving Phased Array with Small Electric or Magnetic Active Wideband Elements. Experimental Performance Evaluation

http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/phased-array/2-ele_phased_array11.pdf
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
On a related note, anyone done a basic phased setup with a couple of monopole verticals and a MFJ-1025 or similar entry-level phasing device? I have tossed around the idea, but I already have multiple verticals littering the backyard landscape.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nice find, Chris!

Back in the day, I cobbled together a two element phased array using a pair of lower Q (~50) resonant loops with a homebrew phasing unit.  I had some pretty good (read encouraging) results, and I have always wanted to follow up this initial venture into phased arrays when time permitted.

I will post more when I find the notebook with details.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link!  I will probably be putting up a short 2 vertical phased array for receiving within the next year.

He also has some good info on Small Wideband Magnetic Loops that I have been looking at lately.

http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm

Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
OIC!

Hey refmo, thanks for posting that link!  I have a copy of that page in my files, and have been impressed with what looks like a pretty good design.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
I will probably be putting up a short 2 vertical phased array for receiving within the next year.

That is on my project list as well, but it gets tossed down to low priority for whatever reasons, such as looking at more antennas in the backyard. ;) If/when I get around to the project, my first attempt will likely use a MFJ-1025 or similar basic "noise canceller" for phasing control, thus my earlier inquiry.
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline dbs

• Near Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello Rob,
I just joined the group and your post about phased antennas was one of the first I read.  I now use two 20' verticals fed into a MFJ 1026 phase box for NDB and MW listening.  It works well most of the time after dark but nulling signals during the day is a problem.  I initially tried two amplified loops, same plane and then at 90 degrees to each other but the nulls were never very deep.

The verticals are only about 25' apart at present and when it warms up a little I'll separate them more.  I have to two very strong local stations to use as a daytime standard and when I get the antennas moved apart I'll report back.  Dave

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Rob:  Have you tried phasing any of your existing verticals??

dbs:  From what I have read on the subject, 20 feet spacing would be difficult to work with.  60 feet would be much better, especially on those low frequencies.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline dbs

• Near Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Email
I didn't plan the location of the antennas it's just that the antenna bases are mounted to chain link fence posts that are about 25' apart.  I was planing on moving one antenna along the fence line another post or two to see if the nulls improve on my day time test stations.  Too cold here to fool around with it now.  Maybe next week.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
No phasing work with the existing stuff here. Too many variances in antenna lengths, tunings, etc.

About separation, some say 1/8 WL at the lowest desired freq is the minimum recommendation. However, 1/4 WL is probably a (much) better approach. I have not done any modelling on such a system, though, so YMMV.

If/when done, I am also debating on the verticals to be used. The S9v43 is of particular interest, but I am close enough to the coast to be concerned about wind loading.

Decisions.... ;)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Also, dbs, welcome to the community. :)

Offline dbs

• Near Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thank you.

Offline sdrnerd

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sdrnerd
    • View Profile
I'm busy building the physical antenna elements and hope to have the kit running next month ;)
Radio's: Perseus, FCDpro+ and Andrus Mk1.5 SDR and others
Antennae: Active delta flag (FLG100LN), Beverage, MiniWhip & OFC dipole
Software: SDR-radio, Studio1, HDSDR, Multipsk, YaDD & YaDD

Regards, Ron

Offline dbs

• Near Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Email
I finally moved one vertical antenna along the fence line, they are now 52' apart(ran out of coax).  The null on the local news station stayed about the same, from +10 over S9 to about S2.  The other local station was about +20 over S9 and nulled to about S3 before the move and now after the move with careful nulling it's only S5.  I don't see any other differences after the move so I'm putting the vertical back to its original location.   Dave