We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1566 khz, 1410z, tentative HLAZ, South Korea  (Read 2455 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
1566 khz, 1410z, tentative HLAZ, South Korea
« on: January 16, 2014, 1551 UTC »
Tuned across the AM band this a.m. and heard a het on the lower side of 1570 khz. It was there even without aid of a loop, but the loop brought it in louder. On my RS "PLL Synthesized World Receiver" it seemed to zero at 1566, which is the 9 khz frequency that would be logical. As soon as I hit 1566, the RS World Receiver had some guy speaking an Asian language, with splash from 1560 and some QRM from the Deportes station in California on 1570.

Heard a man speaking what seemed to be Korean -- not sing-songy like Chinese, def. not Japanese, and had some of the consonant sounds peculiar to Korean, so I'm pretty sure it was Korean.

It even came in barefoot on my TRF, which -- ironically -- was the radio that seemed to bring it in the clearest (it seems to have a really good ceramic filter, combined with a good audio section).

The RS World Receiver, the SRII and the Panasonic also brought in audio with the loop (didn't try them w/o the loop, though). Once I got it clear w/ the TRF I stuck with that radio....

It's always cool to hear something from across the Pacific, even if you can't understand what's being said.  Guys around here (W. WA) with the bigger antennas seem to bring in Asian stations on an almost daily basis.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 1554 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
Re: 1566 khz, 1410z, tentative HLAZ, South Korea
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 0558 UTC »
You mentioned West Virginia, how is the reception there? I used to visit the "Quiet Zone" and White Sulphur Springs area often waaay back in the 1980s. I did not have an appreciation for the area at the time as DXing was not a hobby of mine then. Missed opportunity!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: 1566 khz, 1410z, tentative HLAZ, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 2308 UTC »
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see it until now.

I'm in Western Washington.

I've been in West Virginia, once, a long time ago. Beautiful state.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns