We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 'HCJB" changes its Name  (Read 2561 times)

rdla4

'HCJB" changes its Name
« on: January 25, 2014, 1533 UTC »
Not that the "real HCJB" has been around for a number of years. HCJB renames itself as "Reach Beyond".

I remember the original HCJB from the 1970's. If you sent a report to them, they replied with a whole packet of information---and a colorful QSL card. The packet had a giant fold out program schedule, antenna plans, etc. Even as a evangelical broadcaster, they never seemed to want to ram that in your face.

HCJB was probably most DXer's  "exotic" DX back in the day.

The name change information comes from Glenn Hauser's DXLD email list.

cmradio

Re: 'HCJB" changes its Name
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 0359 UTC »
Ahhhh, HCJB. I recal that beautiful Latin music that I listened to for hours in the 80's until dawn ended the DX ;D

Peace!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 1608 UTC »
I pine for the old HCJB with both of you.  I spent lots of time listening to "The Voice Of The Andes" for that nice Latin mx and also the Andean folk mx they often played - you won't hear that anywhere else.  I even miss those campy "Unshackled" radio dramas they used to play in the eves.  In my mind HCJB is now just a shadow of their former self.  "Reach Behind" (and wipe) might be a more fitting tag line for them now...  :'(
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 1625 UTC »
HCJB - "Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessings"; a very listener friendly station.

Any of you guys remember when they did some broadcasts on 26020 ca. 1983 using a Johnson Viking II?
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 1833 UTC »
I remember that Joe although I couldn't recall the actual converted ham rig they were using.  I never received that 11M signal but at the time I was still listening with an old Realistic DX100 and a hunk of wire tossed out the window.  It seems to me that they tried that setup for some time before they gave up on the idea.  They were always quite novel in their approach and the Ecuadorian government seemed to be benevolent with them.  Always one of my favorite spots on the dial...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 0119 UTC »
I too miss HCJB. They were always putting a great signal into where I lived as a kid, and many an allowance was spent on stamps to send out reports. I collected a whole set of qsl cards they had one year that was nothing but waterfalls around Ecuador. Man, they were a great station.
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline Dutch Master

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 1706 UTC »
I miss John Beck and the DX Partline. I used to participate in the Interval Signal contest. One year I actually got all 10. Good times for sure !!!!!
= Icom IC-R71A
= G5RV @ 30ft
= Western Massachusetts
= QSL to: 99FLSTF@gmail.com   tnx

Offline RFFolk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 1927 UTC »
At least for a short time, I heard their 11mb signal here in Newfoundland quite often back then.  I was amazed that they were broadcasting with the power of an electric lightbulb and I was hearing it thousands of miles to the north almost as well as a local station. 

Are any broadcasters using 11mb nowadays?
---------
St. John's, Newfoundland
---------
Satellit 750, Grundig YB400, and Eton E10, usually with their whips, but also with a two-metre wire strung to the window.  Plus some other littler radios.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns