We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC notice of unlicensed operation  (Read 5358 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
FCC notice of unlicensed operation
« on: January 26, 2014, 1913 UTC »
In reference to this FCC page:  http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-322883A1.html

It says that the pirate radio operator has 10 days to respond that he has authorization to operate.  But we all know that he doesn't, so what is he supposed to do in those 10 days, other than shut his transmitter down?

And how did the FCC find out about the station, since there is no station in the area operating on 95.3 MHz?  And how much power was he actually using?

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: FCC notice of unlicensed operation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 1931 UTC »
No idea, but WKQI 95.5 is parked right above that freq. Also that is in my neck of the woods so to say. I never cruise the FM BCB as it is so I haven't heard an FM pirate in some time. Except north of Mt Clemens a year or so back on the car radio.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 1933 UTC by BDM »
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

rdla4

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 2051 UTC »
If he is next to a commercial broadcaster (apparently he was) he was likely turned in by the commercial station.

Depending a several variable issues, the FCC may or may not pursue this any further.

It really depends on if the pirate "tap danced" properly for the FCC, and whether the FCC was in a mood to accept "tap dancing" that day.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 2350 UTC »
Based on the number in the report, he was running about 355W ERP.  I personally know a few people who have been busted running far less :)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 0024 UTC »
And, don't forget to paint your tower: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2014/DA-14-68A1.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 0034 UTC »
In reference to this FCC page:  http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-322883A1.html

It says that the pirate radio operator has 10 days to respond that he has authorization to operate.  But we all know that he doesn't, so what is he supposed to do in those 10 days, other than shut his transmitter down?

Basically, there is nothing for the op to do.  Later, when they mail copies of the NOUOs, one by certified/registered mail and one by regular First Class, they should probably refuse to sign for any certified mail from them, as I did.  The only reason they send one certified is to try to document that you received a copy of the NOUO, and why give them that?

After that, one will likely hear nothing further from them-- unless they catch you doing it again.

Even for the FM operations, the FCC's standard operating procedure nowadays is to issue the warning (N.O.U.O.) first.  Their primary interest is to shut such operations down.  Just about all of the "Notice of Apparent Liabilities" (a fine) that I've seen in recent years, note that the operator had been warned at least once previously, and often multiple times, before the FCC got around to trying to issue a fine.  (I say "trying" because "asking ain't getting", as the FCC's very poor fine collection record shows.)

My advice for how to spend the 10 days is, start pulling doxx on the FCC agent in charge.  Their use is limited only by your imagination.    Ha Ha, ha ha.  ;D

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 0124 UTC »
The place is a church. In fact it's called "Church of the house of my father".
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 2246 UTC »
If you cease operation after a visit you may not even get a NOUO, it depends on the agent, who's complaining, and most importantly you. Don't give out any info, but don't be a dick about it.

There was an obsessed preacher who ran an FM op about an hour away from me. He'd get a visit, swear he'd never do it again, then be back on the air as soon as he could get a new transmitter. It went on for years before the FCC finally shut him down for good, with a huge fine to boot.

I remember seeing his final bust on the local news.  I could see why the FCC went easy on him for so long. He was harmless,confused older guy living in an ancient trailer perched high on a steep hillside.

I often wonder if he was related to our pal, Al.

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 0005 UTC »
Neither I nor any of my relatives have gotten the knock, as far as I can say.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 0323 UTC »
Yeah, but what about the clap, Al?

I heard that's how you run your lights...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 1321 UTC »
Chris- Don't you think it is very stupid that the FCC makes you paint you'r radio tower a certain color?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 1329 UTC »
Chris- Don't you think it is very stupid that the FCC makes you paint you'r radio tower a certain color?

It's a visual aid - to prevent airplanes from hitting them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 0216 UTC »
Based on the number in the report, he was running about 355W ERP.  I personally know a few people who have been busted running far less :)

What, pray tell, is the mathematical formula for converting microvolts per meter at x meters to ERP?

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 0301 UTC »

It's a visual aid - to prevent airplanes from hitting them.

True I get that
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

cmradio

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 0333 UTC »

What, pray tell, is the mathematical formula for converting microvolts per meter at x meters to ERP?

Heh, Industry Canada addressed this and it was in a nutshell, you can't.

Reason being is terrain, grounding, frequency of operation, obsticles (even a single cedar tree), transmission line, antenna type and radiation pattern will all play an interactive part.

They did have some rules of thumb in RSS210 documents, but were to be considered as guidelines only (and were nausiatingly conservative)

Peace!