We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR-IQ Alternative?  (Read 9074 times)

Offline S. McArdle

• View Profile
SDR-IQ Alternative?
« on: January 30, 2014, 1612 UTC »
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these.  I understand it will allow u to record 192 khz of band spectrum to hard drive for later searching/replaying.  Are there any other, cheaper alternatives out there that will allow one to record this amount or more, of band spectrum to hard drive?  How about recording 2 separate bands at once to hard drive?  Thanks in advance.  Regards, Scott.
Kenwood TS-590,75m square loop up 43' for all prior to 1-11-15, then ocf inv vee at 80' beginning 1-11-15. Best 73's de Scott, 3500 S. Boulevard,Suite 18C,Edmond,OK 73013
PLS QSL to:mcardlelawoffice(at)netzero(dot)com. 1st ever pirate logged was The Voice of Anarchy on 1-17-98

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: SDR-IQ Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 1634 UTC »
There's also the AFEDRI.

The netSDR, while certainly not cheaper, does have the capability to produce I/Q streams for two separate bands. I am not aware of any software taking advantage of this yet, however. I keep prodding the SdrDx author, but no luck yet. Maybe if some other netSDR owners mention it to him... :-)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline S. McArdle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 1717 UTC »
thanks chris.  a cursory check seems to show that the afedri can record way much more band spectrum, at about half the price.  i'll keep checking them out.
Kenwood TS-590,75m square loop up 43' for all prior to 1-11-15, then ocf inv vee at 80' beginning 1-11-15. Best 73's de Scott, 3500 S. Boulevard,Suite 18C,Edmond,OK 73013
PLS QSL to:mcardlelawoffice(at)netzero(dot)com. 1st ever pirate logged was The Voice of Anarchy on 1-17-98

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 1727 UTC »
I'm happy with the Afedri, you can see some samples of it on my youtube channel under "desmoface."

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 1459 UTC »
I bought an afedri back before christmas and im really happy with it.I havnt had any problems so far seems to work great.
Oklahoma
qsl to streetracerlx at gmail.com
Afedri SDR or Icom 746, home made OCF dipole

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 1645 UTC »
Has anyone used the Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+? I think it also looks interesting:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/sdr-4.htm
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 1733 UTC »
Has anyone used the Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+? I think it also looks interesting:

It looks like a Soft Rock variant?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 1837 UTC »

Note, it appears to only cover a portion of the BC band if that matters? Starting at 850 kHz.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 2306 UTC »
Thanks for the responses. BDM: I did notice that its range ends at 850. That's probably OK for me--at least pirates are currently on 1710 and not 530 kHz. CS: Is that a good or bad thing if it's a Soft Rock variant? I've been trying to evaluate what I'd need/best use. I had originally thought that I should pay more for a really good SDR--something that I could regularly record the European band range with and maybe be equivalent to an NRD-535, but lately I've been thinking maybe I should just go more into the Afredi/RF Space range and use it to supplement my analog receivers. As you can see, I'm not exactly an impulse buyer...
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 0027 UTC »
. As you can see, I'm not exactly an impulse buyer...

No, you mean a smart buyer ;) Better safe than sorry with a product you dislike and wasted money 8)
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 0133 UTC »
Thanks for the responses. BDM: I did notice that its range ends at 850. That's probably OK for me--at least pirates are currently on 1710 and not 530 kHz. CS: Is that a good or bad thing if it's a Soft Rock variant? I've been trying to evaluate what I'd need/best use. I had originally thought that I should pay more for a really good SDR--something that I could regularly record the European band range with and maybe be equivalent to an NRD-535, but lately I've been thinking maybe I should just go more into the Afredi/RF Space range and use it to supplement my analog receivers. As you can see, I'm not exactly an impulse buyer...

If you want to record a band, then this type of an SDR isn't going to work for you, the bandwidth isn't enough. You need something like an AFEDRI or an SDR-IQ / netSDR.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 2021 UTC »
I'm glad Afedri owners here seem happy with theirs but I did read some other stories about bad overload issues. It probably depends on your environment. I'm a NetSDR guy myself but that's 3x the cost of an SDR-IQ.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 2222 UTC »
I use an SDR-IQ, and plan to pick up an Afedri in a bit.  I am really not that concerned about overloading issues for the simple reason that I prefer to use highly resonant loops when possible.  This form of antenna represents a tunable bandpass filter ahead of the receiver, which goes a long way to protecting a receiver from the nasties.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline DimBulb

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 0122 UTC »
Got my Afedri running last Friday.  I found that if I had the RF gain cranked up I'd get lots of images from local AM broadcast stations.  Leaving RF gain at around +10 with the FE gain at 2.00 seems to fix all the problems and still have plenty of sensitivity.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 0125 UTC by DimBulb »

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 2122 UTC »
I have been playing with an RTL2832 USB stick SDR. These things are cheap and plentiful on eBay now. They do not use a soundcard for I/Q processing and will cover up to a 3 MHz bandwidth. The frequency range is given as 26 to 1700+ MHz. They do work great at 26 MHz but performance drops off fast below that frequency. I've been using mine with HDSDR and SDR# software.

I haven't tried this yet, but an upconverter may be a way to record a couple MHz worth of shortwave spectrum. Maybe convert shortwave up to to 40 to 50 MHz or even higher.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles