We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate shortwave broadcast on 6930  (Read 1745 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Pirate shortwave broadcast on 6930
« on: February 08, 2014, 0043 UTC »
Suppose I was to use an amateur HF rig to make a 10-minute broadcast of music (bluegrass and Southern Gospel) on 6930 AM, assuming a clear frequency at the time.  Would anyone likely hear it?  If so, would they listen to the entire broadcast?

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pirate shortwave broadcast on 6930
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 0053 UTC »
A lot of listeners use SDRs, and notice something new popping up rather quickly when they are actively listening.

Would someone somewhere hear it?  Most likely, props allowing.

Would they report it here?  Most likely, if they heard it.

Would they listen to the entire show?  Most likely.

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 0111 UTC »
A lot of listeners use SDRs, and notice something new popping up rather quickly when they are actively listening.

What exactly are SDR's?

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 0120 UTC »
During the broadcast, you could log into #pirateradio on Starchat. No need to identify yourself, just watch people's postings there. If you are heard, someone will likely mention it almost immediately, and there is a bot, hfu-bot, there that will also display any loggings posted on HF Underground. It's a great tool for monitoring broadcast performance in real time.

Suppose I was to use an amateur HF rig to make a 10-minute broadcast of music (bluegrass and Southern Gospel) on 6930 AM, assuming a clear frequency at the time.  Would anyone likely hear it?  If so, would they listen to the entire broadcast?

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 0121 UTC »
Software Defined Radio.  There are many places to read about them e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio

An SDR generally implements a panoramic view of the RF spectrum, making it very easy to see what's on the air.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 0217 UTC »
In the beginning, I used a Yeasu FT-857 running about 100W on USB with an inverted V in my apartment attic.  After dark, those shows were heard in excess of 1000 miles away.  So yes, someone will hear you, and if your program is good, people will stick around.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns