We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Fixed Service radio frequencies  (Read 1374 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Fixed Service radio frequencies
« on: February 08, 2014, 2348 UTC »
According to this frequency allocation plan:  http://www.w2aee.columbia.edu/fcc-bandplan.html

The frequencies most commonly used by pirate shortwave stations are in the Fixed Service.  What exactly does that mean, and what kinds of communications are supposed to be there?  Is it actually used anymore for such?

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed Service radio frequencies
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 0051 UTC »
Fixed as opposed to mobile. There are users on the "pirate band" mostly government/military. I hear link11 around 6970 & the TSA/MARS PACTOR mode on 6996. Elsewhere in the world there's more 6900 - 7000 khz users. Look on the U Twente sdr & you will see many of them.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 1157 UTC »
You also get Canadian military on 6977kHz or thereabouts.  I've heard a CFARS net there several times. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 1605 UTC »
your question implies that the sw bands aren't "used any more". The opposite is true. HF radio is used more & more by military/gov't & other users these days. The cost of satellite time is rising & that isn't  an issue with HF. They use HF radio for a lot of cool stuff these days like E-mail , sending video & pics, internet connections....While many broadcast stations are shutting down ,more utility stations are popping up all the time.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room