We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: V30 16:10 utc 3/6/2014  (Read 1761 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
V30 16:10 utc 3/6/2014
« on: March 06, 2014, 1624 UTC »
Heard via Twente while I was pretending to work. quite strong signal off a minute after I intuned.

Oops, I forgot to post the frequency.  It was 10255. I think this one is nicknamed "the lighthouse"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 1407 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: V30 16:10 utc 3/6/2014
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 1603 UTC »
Before it received the V30 designator people were calling it "the Lighthouse", since part of the callup can be translated as "Lighthouse Cay".

V30 has a very erratic schedule.  It might only transmit one or two days a month, or it might be daily.  With rare exception (one time in the last 3 years) it will not transmit unless there was an M97 transmission one hour before it.  But just because there was an M97 does not mean there will be a V30, V30 is slightly less active than M97.  So typically on a day V30 is active you have an M97 transmission at about 1500 UTC on 10375 kHz, then maybe a V30 one hour later at about 1600 UTC on 10255 kHz.

The times are "about".  It appears the target times are 1500 UTC for M97 and 1600 UTC for V30, but the start times "drift" over time.  They get earlier each day, by slightly more than a second.  So the start times for each shift forward every day, but they shift forward the same amount, so they are almost exactly one hour apart every day they both transmit.  Eventually the times shift to about 5 minutes before the hour and then the operators do something that resets the start time (probably set the PC clock) to either 1500 and 1600 UTC or to 1505 and 1605 UTC (they have reset to both of those at one time or another).

Both M97 and V30 are probably sent from a computer, I have recorded Windows shutdown / error sounds on both.  V30 does not appear to be a computer generated voice.  Instead it appears to be a live voice message recorded once, and then the recording is used for each transmission until the message changes.  Several different voices, male and female, have been used by V30.  The same message, for both M97 and V30, can be sent for many months, or might just be used one or two days.

Twente never seems to get V30 (or M97) very strong, for that matter it has not been reported often from any European source.  Most of the time someone uses a remote in Asia or my remote in the Mojave Desert to monitor and report it.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 1711 UTC »
I heard it again today via Twente while I was at work ( I love getting paid to play radio) same time & frequency. There was a post from an enigma member moments before giving the freq for M97 Which is why I checked for V30. They were at a good signal strength, better than yesterday.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 1933 UTC »
I heard it again today via Twente while I was at work ( I love getting paid to play radio) same time & frequency. There was a post from an enigma member moments before giving the freq for M97 Which is why I checked for V30. They were at a good signal strength, better than yesterday.

Most of the time M97 is fairly decent into Twente, it can almost always be copied to some extent, and V30 is at or just above the noise level.  Occasionally V30 is strong enough to make out every word / number.  I have never heard it there what I would call "strong".  Later in the year it gets worse.

If you listen closely to the V30 transmissions sometimes you can hear interesting things in the background.  It is obviously done with an open mike and probably not in a studio.  One message (sent many days) included what sounded like city traffic in the background, car horns and all.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 2030 UTC »
there seems to be lots of really nice Asian signals today lots of inbooming fishery faxes ...the slot machine was pretty strong. North Korea has been inbooming on 11635 the last couple of days. I've looked for V30 on Twente in the past & found it as you say at or just above the noise level but the last two days it has been much better than I've ever heard it.