We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 10m- Big Sigs de Asia - 4mar2014  (Read 2319 times)

Offline n6spp

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
10m- Big Sigs de Asia - 4mar2014
« on: March 15, 2014, 2053 UTC »
Reports of Cycle24 possibly peaking for a second time (?!)..

10 stayed open LATE, last week until about 2am local Alaska (1100z).. Condx into Asiatic Russia and JA were good. CW sigs de Europe were too light, so I switched to the weak signal mode JT65a on 28.076mhz.. this netted a few qso's.

Attached is a logbook screenshot of qso's to Asia, VK +ZL on 29.6 fm simplex.. Sigs were up to 60+ on our club's tribander! These 10m condx remind me of Cycle 20.. We were able to work dx stns (EU,AS,Oceania etc) on 28mhz all night (de Calif).

At home I have a 65ft loaded vertical wire and a Comet H422 rotatable (fixed n-s) hidden in a pine tree.

73 Eric
~n6spp

Weak Signal and multi-modes, LF-VHF
~Favorite band 10m~

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10m- Big Sigs de Asia - 4mar2014
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 0054 UTC »
Just RX here but noticed the same.

Lots from Japan USB  to JH1CML, JH1GBZ, JQ1DPP, JA0MVW, JA1BPA, JH1CDR, JM7OLW, One from Hawaii, QSO w/ East coast Virginia, Georgia, Carolina's, Mass, Florida  etc
Also PSK 31 & 63 on 10 & 15 mtrs - Chilli, Argentina, Russia, Cuba, East Coast N America..  some were QRP as well - Huge Opening!!!
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline n6spp

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 0614 UTC »
Rockpicker-

Very cool.. Does your sdr unit decode different digital sigs, or do you use a different program for that?

You said you copied JM7OLW- I thought that call sounded familiar.. I've wk'd Suke a few times over the years!

Here's another screenshot of my log, of q's with him (+ his pic from QRZ.com).

-Looks like he "hangs out" on 28.019mhz  (cw).. hi.  Both of our qso's on 10m cw were on this freq. Sometimes a stn will favor a frequency for cqing.

(a few of my favorite digital programs are- FL-Digi(multi mode), wsjt-x, wspr-x, mmsstv, multi-psk, opera, hellschreiber-by iz8bly, wsjt9, and Argo)

If you need a good (+easy to use) cw decoder, or if your cw is rusty- chk out "CW Get". INMO it out performs many of the other cw engines found in decoders like HRD and multi-psk.

73 Eric
Weak Signal and multi-modes, LF-VHF
~Favorite band 10m~

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 1749 UTC »
Hi Eric,
Various decoders are available from WinRadio at a price, but I have had such good luck with FLDigi, MMSSTV / QSSTV, EasyPal etc. there is no need to pay WinRadio
just to have the same "Built In' to the SDR menu's.

It looks like 10 meters is opening again this morning. I'm seeing some PSK QSO's between Eastern and Southern US and Europe right now. (Poland and Austria)
Lots of Rtty as well, must be a contest going on?
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave