We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Powdered alcohol may be coming to a liquor store near you  (Read 1561 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/20/5634132/us-regulators-approve-powdered-alcohol

Putting a can of beer in a brown paper bag is about to look like child's play. A new product that's somehow been approved by US regulators makes booze as discreet as a packet of sugar. It's called Palcohol, and it transforms a shot of vodka or rum into a pocketable pouch of powder. Tear it open, add some water, mix, and you've got hard liquor. Considering the age group that Palcohol is going to appeal to, however, the sweet, pre-mixed powders are probably going to be far more popular. To start off, the company plans to make margarita, mojito, cosmopolitan, and lemon drop flavors.

It's not hard to come up with ways kids are going to get in trouble with this one, but Palcohol offers a few suggestions on its website (cached) ranging from sneaking booze into places like movie theaters and college sporting events (where alcohol is banned) to sprinkling it directly onto food so teens don't even have to stomach the bitter alcohol flavor. Just in case you don't get the idea, the product's motto is "Take your Pal wherever you go!" The original site, which has now been replaced with a more responsible, updated version, even offered this gem:

Let’s talk about the elephant in the room… snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you’ll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly.

The updated site now says that the powder is cut with enough filler to make snorting inefficient. Nevertheless, you may soon be able to give it a try for yourself. According to government documents dug up by beverage industry blog Bevlog, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) has approved the powdered alcohol. However, there are still some hurdles for Palcohol to overcome before it goes on sale. Robert C. Lehrman, the attorney behind Bevlog, points out that the numerous industries that have a vested interest in keeping powdered alcohol off shelves will stand in the way. There are also state regulations, and even if the government provided its full approval, retailers and wholesalers would still have to get on board. Nevertheless, Palcohol's founder says that he plans the product to hit liquor store shelves this fall.

Update April 21st, 12:48AM ET: This article has been updated with comments from Robert C. Lehrman, an attorney who specializes in beverage law and writes the Bevlog blog.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Powdered alcohol may be coming to a liquor store near you
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 1402 UTC »
Can you mix it will Cool Aid?
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 1503 UTC »
heres the palcohol website.

http://www.palcohol.com/home.html

I've gotta say this sounds like a horrible idea on sooo many levels.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 1505 UTC »
can you imagine some poor bloke, the morning after the night before, reaching for what he thinks is a headache powder and getting this stuff instead?

That would be just my luck man.... ;-)  QU: do the packets 'clink' when you go for a toast?

eerrrr never mind,,, I will go hide now ;-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns