We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Equipment Seized From Three Illegal Radio Stations in Greater Boston  (Read 1343 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
BOSTON – Warrants were recently unsealed in U.S. District Court detailing the seizure of radio transmission equipment used by three pirate radio stations: 100.1 FM, broadcasting from Everett, Mattapan, and Brockton, with a studio in Dorchester; Touch 106.1 FM, broadcasting from Boston; and 88.7 FM, broadcasting from Brockton.

It is alleged that all three stations were operating without a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Separate civil actions were brought seeking forfeiture of the equipment because it was allegedly used in violation of federal law.

According to affidavits filed with the court, the FCC issued multiple warnings to the illegal operators at the above addresses, but the radio stations continued to broadcast. The forfeiture actions were brought after complaints were received, including a complaint from a licensed broadcaster about interference with its radio signal.

“As prosecutors we work in conjunction with the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau to identify violators of federal communications law,” said United States Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz. “It is a public safety hazard for illegal radio stations to broadcast, potentially interfering with critical radio communications.

“Like any member of the community, the operators of these illegal stations could have applied for free low power radio licenses and operated their stations in compliance with the law. When they choose to operate illegally, and continue those operations after being warned multiple times, action must be taken,” added U.S. Attorney Ortiz.

Since 2011 the U.S. Attorney’s Office has filed eight forfeiture actions against illegal radio stations in the greater Boston area, effectively shutting down all eight stations.

The Communications Act of 1934 prohibits the operation of radio broadcasting equipment above certain low-intensity thresholds without a license issued by the FCC. The Act authorizes the seizure and forfeiture of any electronic or radio frequency equipment used to broadcast without an FCC license. The number of available radio frequencies is limited, and unlicensed broadcasting can interfere with the broadcasting of legitimate licensed radio stations, potentially causing chaos in the radio spectrum.

Said Acting FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Travis LeBlanc, “Like driving a car, radio broadcasting requires a license, permit, or other government authorization. This week’s seizures by FCC agents and U.S. Marshals ensure that everyone who uses the public airwaves follows the same rules.”

Federal officials seized the equipment on April 16 and 17, 2014. Officials seized equipment operated by the radio station using frequency 100.1 MHz at the station’s last known addresses on Walnut Street in Everett, Outlook Road in Mattapan, N. Manchester Street in Brockton, and Gallivan Boulevard in Dorchester. Equipment operated by the radio station using frequency 106.1 MHz was seized at the station’s last known addresses on Cheney Street and Blue Hill Avenue in Boston. Lastly, equipment operated by the radio station using frequency 88.7 MHz was seized at the station’s last known address on Crescent Street in Brockton.

U.S. Attorney Ortiz and Chief LeBlanc made the announcement today. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Christine Wichers of Ortiz’s Civil Division. The seizures were conducted by the United States Marshals Service and the FCC.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ma/news/2014/April/PirateRadioPR.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yep.... hmmmm... I get a kick out of the statement:

"It is a public safety hazard for illegal radio stations to broadcast, potentially interfering with critical radio communications"

The same can be said about these cheap imported electronic devices aka 'part 15' so called and not to forget the use of RF heating devices in industries, making car wind shield etc etc... oh yeah... let's not forget scofflaws like Dayton poewer and light that refuse to fix their line leakage that balks out almost the entire BCB, 160, 80, 75, 40 etc bands and I have even heard it up in the aircraft frequencies (108++MHZ)...

Sure a single source doesn't cause much problems but get a few hundred operating in close quarters and you have a toxic soup of RF garbage almost as bad as the old USSR myack jammers...

oppppsss  sorry for the rant... me bad... and so are propagation conditions today... <sigh>

Have a great day and 73 Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Sure a single source doesn't cause much problems but get a few hundred operating in close quarters and you have a toxic soup of RF garbage almost as bad as the old USSR myack jammers

When I moved into my house in 2001, it was fairly quiet. Now, its a mess all over the spectrum, from VLF through HF. I drive to work and listen to SW and the power lines near the freeways are full of RFI as well.

The Soviets couldn't have dreamt of jamming us this well, especially us paying money to jam ourselves.

Sure wish the FCC would enforce strongly Part 15, but we all know they won't.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email

"It is a public safety hazard for illegal radio stations to broadcast, potentially interfering with critical radio communications"

"critical radio communications" = corporate advertising revenues

I think maybe some of these pirates ought to contact their nearest "patriot militia" to help them defend their property and their rights!    No reason Federal marshalls should be the only parties present with guns, IMHO.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums