We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Vatican Radio, 11625 khz, 0415-0434 UTC, 5/3 -- tentative  (Read 1238 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Shortwave conditions here at my QTH, at least when I tune the bands, has been a bit spotty. The ham bands sometimes have some good activity (40 meters was kicking in well two or three nights ago), but the shortwave bands haven't really been delivering here lately.

About the only notable logging I've had recently is a tentative one of Vatican Radio on 11625 khz, Friday night local time. Heard a man and a woman speaking, sounded like news (mention of Al Maliki and Iraq), language sounded like a cross between Hindi and Arabic.  During recheck later at 0434 they were talking in African accented French. The online schedules say Vatican Radio broadcasts in Tigriya and Amharic during the 0400 - 0430 time period.

Vatican Radio is the only station that fits. Was cool to hear, even if I couldn't understand the language. But there wasn't much else on at the time, except possibly Turkey on 11980. The rest of the band was just mediocre, and the 31, 21, and 49 meter bands weren't any better.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).