We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: EAM? Or numbers station talking on 15016 USB  (Read 2574 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
EAM? Or numbers station talking on 15016 USB
« on: November 23, 2013, 1458 UTC »
Just turned on my grundig and captured some voice saying strands of phonetic letters. Military or spy?? I have no clue.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: EAM? Or numbers station talking on 15016 USB
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 1510 UTC »
Military.  This is a frequency in the US Airforce maintained HF-GCS network.  4724, 6739, 8992, 11175, 13200, and 15016 are the most commonly used frequencies.  It is quite common, normal even, for the same message to be sent across multiple or even all of those frequencies at the same time.  If you hear phonetics on one freq try the others and see how many you hear.

There are two basic forms of voice encrypted, phonetics based, messages, "EAM"s and "Skykings".  The message you heard is probably what hobbyist have come to call an "EAM".  It should be noted that not all encoded traffic like that are actually EAM's, but since it is essentially impossible for a hobbyist to tell one form of message from the other they all get called "EAM".  When you hear a Skyking it will be obvious.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Re: EAM? Or numbers station talking on 15016 USB
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 2024 UTC »
This newbie just discovered that the GHFS-EAM frequencies existed and now I'm hooked.  Does anyone have a list of frequencies for monitoring these stations?  I have a list that I've found from various sources on the Internet, but am not sure if they are current as of 2014:

Thank you.

Edit: Answered my own question by discovering a link to a USAF High Frequency Global Communications System frequency guide here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/USAF_High_Frequency_Global_Communications_System

Military.  This is a frequency in the US Airforce maintained HF-GCS network.  4724, 6739, 8992, 11175, 13200, and 15016 are the most commonly used frequencies.  It is quite common, normal even, for the same message to be sent across multiple or even all of those frequencies at the same time.  If you hear phonetics on one freq try the others and see how many you hear.

There are two basic forms of voice encrypted, phonetics based, messages, "EAM"s and "Skykings".  The message you heard is probably what hobbyist have come to call an "EAM".  It should be noted that not all encoded traffic like that are actually EAM's, but since it is essentially impossible for a hobbyist to tell one form of message from the other they all get called "EAM".  When you hear a Skyking it will be obvious.

T!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 2028 UTC by Strange Beacons »