We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: If I ever decide to do any pirating...  (Read 2274 times)

Fansome

Fansome

Re: If I ever decide to do any pirating...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 1130 UTC »
I'm wondering, what's the longest delay in getting a pirate QSL?

Would five years be considered poor form?

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 2122 UTC »
Five years is better than nothing.

It would also be a nice surprise I think, coming long after the listener had given up getting anything.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 0336 UTC »
I think Kilokat waited 23 years for WJDI....

BTW Al, are these the kinds of things you come up with when your tires are low?  I'm getting you a gauge for Xmas...

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 0424 UTC »
I apologize; I've been under treatment for logorrhea, but for some reason it hasn't taken. I'll try to do better. In the meantime, don't stand too close; it can get pretty messy...

I was serious about the QSL question. A friend of mine who happens to be a pirate was blasted in an email by someone who asked for a QSL five years ago, but never got one. Apparently there was some rudeness involved. My friend wanted my opinion, and so I decided to ask the fans here. I like Poet's answer.

I got a WBIG qsl after probably close to five years; I can't find it now, but I'm sure it was a long time. Big Mike was a good guy; I wonder what happened to him (and his Grenade...).

I think Kilokat waited 23 years for WJDI....

BTW Al, are these the kinds of things you come up with when your tires are low?  I'm getting you a gauge for Xmas...

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 0430 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 1636 UTC »
Don't you ever shut up?

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 1857 UTC »
IMHO...  If anyone does pirate radio and uses anything other than INDY music they are just asking for trouble...  Come on folks there are thousands of INDY folks that are in need of air time but never get it...  EVER! 

If the pirates insist on playing the 'same old same old' they are just commercial broadcasters that don't have the intestinal fortitude to be what they should be... independent of the mainstream...

Sure playing old 60'. 70's. 80's et al is fine but commercial broadcasters do that just fine ( within certain constraints) 

My thing is... lets hear something NEW!!!  Using the Doors 'Crystal ship' (No offence to the 'Crystal Ship', is pure BS!  Let's hear something new and original...  No covers and NO same old same old because it make YOU SOUND LIKE THEM WITHOUT COMMERCIALS.

There are thousands of new groups & people out there that would love to hear their music on the air but no one lets it happen!!!

Please understand it is NOT my wish to offend anyone but...  Let's hear something new for a change... other-wise we are just stuck in the past and that is the gig of the 'old fart' generation...

If this post gets me s**t canned, so be it but someone needs to say this...

Let's move on to the next generation of music... because to live in the past is to die...

73 Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 2120 UTC »
Ok, now you've done it. You are NEVER going to get a Radio Al Fansome QSL. Yes, read it and weep. It was not the greatest station in the world; the shows were poorly produced, and the signal suffered from technical malfeasance, but the QSLs were remarkable, and now you're not going to get one. So there.

Don't you ever shut up?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 2131 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 2237 UTC »
Ok, now you've done it. You are NEVER going to get a Radio Al Fansome QSL. Yes, read it and weep. It was not the greatest station in the world; the shows were poorly produced, and the signal suffered from technical malfeasance, but the QSLs were remarkable, and now you're not going to get one. So there.

Too late, Al. You sent me QSL #1 of the Beeman's Bunny Target series back in '02.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 0420 UTC »
IMHO...  If anyone does pirate radio and uses anything other than INDY music they are just asking for trouble...  Come on folks there are thousands of INDY folks that are in need of air time but never get it...  EVER!  

If the pirates insist on playing the 'same old same old' they are just commercial broadcasters that don't have the intestinal fortitude to be what they should be... independent of the mainstream...

Sure playing old 60'. 70's. 80's et al is fine but commercial broadcasters do that just fine ( within certain constraints)  

My thing is... lets hear something NEW!!!  Using the Doors 'Crystal ship' (No offence to the 'Crystal Ship', is pure BS!  Let's hear something new and original...  No covers and NO same old same old because it make YOU SOUND LIKE THEM WITHOUT COMMERCIALS.

There are thousands of new groups & people out there that would love to hear their music on the air but no one lets it happen!!!

Please understand it is NOT my wish to offend anyone but...  Let's hear something new for a change... other-wise we are just stuck in the past and that is the gig of the 'old fart' generation...

If this post gets me s**t canned, so be it but someone needs to say this...

Let's move on to the next generation of music... because to live in the past is to die...

73 Vince KA1IIC

Looks like I've become an old fart.  Thanks for letting me know.  I've been waiting my whole life for somebody to let me know.

I have a learning disability.  I am unable to learn or recognize artists or song titles produced anytime after about 1989-- or 1994 on a really good day.
Yes, it's a difficult problem to live with, but I get by the best I can.

Your point may well be valid when applied to a local FM audience... but the shortwave audience is mostly confined to old farts like me, and our tastes seem to be similar.  Most of us like going down memory lane.  New and unfamiliar sounds may be frightening to us old codgers.

Another problem is the difficulty in getting educated in newer music.  (See 'learning disability' discussed earlier.)  Since, as you say, no one is playing it, how am I supposed to know what isn't being played that I should be playing?  

(Perhaps it would help for me to hookup with some 22-year old, so she could educate me.  Afterwards, she could play me her music...)

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums