We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: I don't believe it! RWM, 9996kHz, 05/31 0115Z  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
I don't believe it! RWM, 9996kHz, 05/31 0115Z
« on: June 01, 2014, 0701 UTC »
I checked this frequency on a whim; I've done so before and gotten a whole lot of zilch, so I figured this time would be no different.  Boy was I wrong!  It took a few minutes and a formatting change to make me realize that no, I was not just hearing distorted time pips from the adjacent and strong WWV.  The RWM IDs at 0139 clinched it.  Wow, wow, and wow!  I never thought I'd hear this one over here, ever.  Then again, I've only heard BPM once... 

Here's my log.  I am oh so definitely QSLing this catch! 

9996, RWM, 0215-0246.  High-pitched time pips at tune-in, lasting uninterrupted for several minutes.  Shifted to a stream of rapid pips at 0220, lasting until 0230 when a continuous tone replaced it.  What sounded like short data bursts at 0238, then clear Morse RWM IDs at 0239, all minute long.  Back into time pips at 0240, then into rapid pips again.  Signal good, audible alongside WWV on 10000.  SINPO 44344. 

Audible again tonight, though not as strong.  Anybody else catch it?  If not, try for it once and see what you get. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I don't believe it! RWM, 9996kHz, 05/31 0115Z
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 1434 UTC »
Congratulations, Chanter!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530