We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The last WWII Navajo code talker dies  (Read 1474 times)

Fansome

The last WWII Navajo code talker dies
« on: June 05, 2014, 0141 UTC »

Chester Nez, 93, was last of the original Navajo code talkers

The last WWII Navajo code talker dies

Chester Nez, 93, the last of the Navajo code talkers, was proud to represent his people on the battlefield
'Navajo people had always been warriors, protectors,' said Navajo code talker Chester Nez, who died Wednesday

The final member of the original Navajo code talkers, the group of 28 Native Americans who played a crucial role for U.S. communications during World War II, has died.

Chester Nez died Wednesday in Albuquerque, confirmed Judy Avila, who helped Nez write his memoirs. He was 93.

Nez, among the first recruited, helped to develop code based on the Navajo's unwritten language. The code thwarted the Japanese trying to intercept American communications in the Pacific during World War II.

The 2002 John Woo film "Windtalkers" brought the story of the code breakers to the big screen.

"The passing of Chester Nez, one of the original 29 Navajo Code Talkers, sadly marks the end of an era in our country's and Marine Corps' history," Col. David Lapan, director of the Office of U.S. Marine Corps Communication, said in a statement. "We mourn his passing but honor and celebrate the indomitable spirit and dedication of those Marines who became known as the Navajo Code Talkers."

In his memoirs, Nez said he knew he made the right decision to join the fight.

“I reminded myself that my Navajo people had always been warriors, protectors," he said. "In that there was honor. I would concentrate on being a warrior, on protecting my homeland. Within hours, whether in harmony or not, I knew I would join my fellow Marines in the fight."

The code, which they had to memorize, was based on a system in which the Navajos used their own words to substitute for the 26 letters in the English alphabet. For example, the word "wol-la-chee" means "ant" and it might have stood for the letter A in a coded message.

Because the Navajos had no words applicable to modern warfare, they settled on hundreds of descriptive words in their own language.

A tank was a tortoise; a submarine, an iron fish; a dive bomber, a chicken hawk; a grenade, a potato; a battleship, a whale. Bombs were eggs, and the commanding general a war chief.

The death in 2011 of Lloyd Oliver made Nez the last surviving member of the unit.

In 2001, when the surviving Navajo code talkers were invited to Washington to receive the Congressional Gold Medal for their service, Nez told the Los Angeles Times that their operations did not always run smoothly.

"Quite a few Navajo guys were mistaken for Japanese," he said.

But he said he had jumped at the chance to enlist when Marine recruiters came to the reservation boarding school where he was enrolled.

"I told my buddy [Roy Begay], 'Let's get the heck out of here, climb that mountain up there and see what's on the other side,'" Nez said.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The last WWII Navajo code talker dies
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 1345 UTC »
'Syo... wado to this one and may he rest easy with the Great Spirit

Wesa (AKA Vince)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 1637 UTC »
The role of the Navajo people in World War II is rarely remembered in the history books. Indigenous Americans were not even granted US citizenship upon birth until 1924, and their forgotten contribution and lack of portrayal as the American war hero is yet another reminder of the systematic repression of their people and history.
http://www.messynessychic.com/2018/02/21/how-navajo-code-talkers-of-world-war-ii-saved-the-day/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 1640 UTC by QRP »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 1724 UTC »
RIP.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail