We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Single-Chip Receivers Open the Way for Conversion to DAB+, DRM  (Read 1937 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I guess I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but the more I hear about any form of digital broadcasting, the more I cringe.  I think analog broadcasting is going to be with us for a very long time yet.  I hope.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
I guess I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but the more I hear about any form of digital broadcasting, the more I cringe.  I think analog broadcasting is going to be with us for a very long time yet.  I hope.

+-RH

If it makes you feel better, it also comes in an 8 pin SIP DIP with knobs.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 0127 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I detect a new acronym, KOC, knobs on chip ;D

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Fansome

Now that's some really advanced technology.

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
Of course you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to change frequency.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Of course you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to change frequency.

<heh> Sometimes I need a magnifying glass when I use my FT 817ND  ;) So for the chip knobs I would need a microscope... but wait, chips are out mode'd  already because of surface mount parts...  guess I'll need to buy a mass-spec?  Wonder if they have them on Ebay?

And who said this hobby was easy? 

Well I've got to get back to the bench...  there are small parts crying out to me...  "Do it, you know you want to"  ::)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
There is a new Eton radio with AM FM SW LW and DAB, perhaps it's using one of the chips mentioned in the article. The problem is, who's really going to buy such radios?

Younger people are getting their radio programming via smartphones and online streams, and over the air radio is eventually going to fade away.

I don't see radio completely disappearing for a couple decades (at least here in the U.S., where the government is loathe to declare FM and AM dead, like governments have in other countries) -- if only due to population growth and immigration.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns