We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Allow myself to introduce....myself (and posit a question!)  (Read 2018 times)

Offline RadioDiscountCabbage

• Rome, GA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings everyone. First time posting here, wanted to give a quick introduction, then ask a question. If there is a separate thread for introductions, forgive my broadcasting out-of-band.

Name is Spence, and I've been a casual shortwave listener for several years since I wrote an MA thesis on the economics of international broadcasting during the late Cold War years. I have only been a shortwave monitor for a few months, but thanks to some great logging software, have an impressive number of confirmed receptions and even a few physical QSL cards (despite all of my RRs explicitly stating that I don't need them).

For the next few weeks, at least, I reside in the Coosa Valley region of NW Georgia. On the 15th, I will be leaving the US and moving to Beijing to start work at a major international shortwave broadcaster that shall remain nameless for privacy reasons but whose identity should be obvious to all. I know that this may be a controversial thing here, and I welcome your thoughts and questions about this career move.

I can't wait to log a few US pirate stations before I depart and to report this to the HFU community. And then, if I happen to pick up some pirates in Asia, I will be sure to log them here too.

Now onto my question. Something that has helped me tremendously as a monitor is my reception logging software. I use DXtreme reception log, running on a small Asus Transformer book that I use exclusively for SWL logging. It does just about everything I need including providing templates for RRs. I am curious: what sort of logging software (if any) do you use at your monitoring post?

A link to my youtube channel is below for those who would like to learn a bit more about some of what I do.

Thanks in advance for the kind reception. Eat your cereal with a fork. Do your homework in the dark. Blame WWV when you are late for a date.  ;D

73s.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGt6JndpRkod2pH4cMQlDjQ
Remember kids: Eat your cereal with a fork. Do your homework in the dark.

And Blame your missed dinner dates on WWV.

Gear: Icom R75, Tecsun PL-880. Antennas: Apex 700 DTA vertical active and homebrew random wire.

EQSL to: swldx8@gmail.com

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Allow myself to introduce....myself (and posit a question!)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 1837 UTC »
I hope you can still use this website while you're over there...
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...

Offline RadioDiscountCabbage

• Rome, GA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 2131 UTC »
Tested it just now, should be fine. Will likely still connect with a VPN to be on the safe side.
Remember kids: Eat your cereal with a fork. Do your homework in the dark.

And Blame your missed dinner dates on WWV.

Gear: Icom R75, Tecsun PL-880. Antennas: Apex 700 DTA vertical active and homebrew random wire.

EQSL to: swldx8@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 1623 UTC »
Mr. Cabbage, welcome to the forum.

I suppose I could hazard a guess as to which prominent broadcaster you will be working for -- and I see nothing wrong with it.

Best of luck in your career there.

I use paper logs, and an excel spreadsheet. Also have my best logs listed in a word doc.  Low tech version of logging at my QTH.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 2052 UTC »
Welcome to the HFU Cabbage! I wish the best of luck for you, and if you have any questions, just shoot myself or anyone else on here a message. We'd be more than happy to answer to our best abilities.

Also, when you move to Asia, look out for KCBS, KBS, and Voice of Korea. I've been trying for the last few months to catch them, but have only heard just the lonely carrier once with no audio.

73!, and again welcome, and may the Gods of propagation treat you well.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna