We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Herb" maritime weather forecast guy on 12359 Khz  (Read 5282 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
"Herb" maritime weather forecast guy on 12359 Khz
« on: July 30, 2014, 1554 UTC »
Does anybody remember this guy? he apparently had some sort of business staying in touch with pleasure vessels in the Atlantic ocean & giving them very specific weather forecasts. I would hear him on 12359 Khz in my local afternoon/evenings like about 19-22 UTC. I sort of got out of the dx'ing hobby more or less for a while around 2002/7 & I can't remember hearing him after that. Although I did still play with my radios some just not as much as I had been. I sometimes saw him mentioned in GH's DXLD so he was a fairly common catch. I think he was based in Canada...maybe(??)... The Atlantic coast maritime part of Canada. His forecasts were ,as I said really specific for the various vessels & he would know their intended course , heading etc. I would hear him every day from my QTH in Missouri. When I lived on an island off the coast of Maine in 2001 & again in 2004 I wasn't able to hear him although I know he was still on the air in 2001 because I could hear him when I was back in KC. I guess I was within his skip zone when I was in Maine. Now that I think about it I haven't even checked for him in years so perhaps he is still there. Does anyone remember hearing him in the late 90's early 2000's? Just wondering.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: "Herb" maritime weather forecast guy on 12359 Khz
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 1201 UTC »
Never heard the guy. Only weather forecasts I've heard on the HF maritime frequencies were the Coast Guard ones, and I guess the Volmets (although they're on the HF aeronautical frequencies).

I have heard the guy doing the weather on the 40 meter ham band for yachters in the Gulf of California, can't remember his name or call, but I think he's part of the Chubasco Net thing.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline solarix

• View Profile
    • solarix.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 1741 UTC »
I last logged him in 2011. Apparently he stopped doing the daily net in 2013.

More info about Herb and the Southbound II maritime net.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/hehilgen/vax498.htm

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 2202 UTC »
Thanx solarix. I'd always wondered about this net. It made for lots of interesting listening over the years.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 0739 UTC »
I remember him. I want to say he died a few years back, but I'm not sure.

It was a labor of love for the guy. He did it for years and never received anything for it, except for the occasional  donations he used to maintain/upgrade his equipment One of the radio mags interviewed him in the 90's.

He was able to operate both in the Pacific and Atlantic.