We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Spot the International Space Station  (Read 2839 times)

Fansome

Spot the International Space Station
« on: August 26, 2014, 0133 UTC »
NASA has a service whereby they will alert you with an email when the ISS is due to be visible in your area. I've been subscribed for a while now, but it's always been to cloudy/hazy/full moon/etc. for me to see. Finally tonight conditions were good, and it was quite a sight. When it came up in the west it was the brightest thing in the sky, and was very visible until it started to descend into the south, where it lost the sun's light. It was visible for maybe a minute and  a half, and very impressive.

You can sign up for this at http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/.

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spot the International Space Station
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 0316 UTC »
I use the android app "ISS detector"  I gives you a tracking map showing where to look and also gives you a heads up on the iridium flashes from satellites. 
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 0605 UTC »
I watched it again tonight, a longer display of about 6 minutes. I dragged the SO out to watch, and mostly I heard from her was "this isn't DX, and we aren't using an SDR". The things I put up with...

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 0617 UTC »
And then, there's the joke:

Two seagulls were flying over Hollywood.

One of them remarked, "I have heard that there a lot of movie stars around here"

The other one replied, "Yep, hang on, and I will spot one for you".

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 2123 UTC »
Did you hear Bob Hope do that joke at the premiere of "The Big Broadcast of 1938", Al?

Tell your SO the ball peen hammer of adjustment is in the mail.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 0603 UTC »
I tried to mollify her with another brilliant original joke:

"If an athlete gets athlete's foot, what does an astronaut get?

Missile toe."

It just made her even more angry.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 1341 UTC »
Women have no sense of humor, Al. That was one of my favorite jokes back in 4th grade.

Start wearing tube socks with sandals when the two of you are out and about. The chicks really dig it when you make the effort to look sharp on date night. That ought to mollify her.

If not, plan a romantic evening around the movies of Don Knotts and the true food of romance, refried beans.