We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: JOE SAMPLE (CRUSADERS) DEAD AT 75  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
JOE SAMPLE (CRUSADERS) DEAD AT 75
« on: September 17, 2014, 2307 UTC »
JOE SAMPLE R.I.P. 1939-2014

Joe Sample, who became a jazz star in the 1960s as the pianist with the Jazz Crusaders and an even bigger star a decade later when he began playing electric keyboards and the group simplified its name to the Crusaders, died on September 12, 2014 in Houston. He was 75. The cause was mesothelioma (cancer of the lungs), said his manager, Patrick Rains. Among the albums on which his keyboard work can be heard are Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On, Joni Mitchell’s Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Tina Turner’s Private Dancer, Steely Dan’s Aja and Gaucho, and several recordings by BB King.

I had the good fortune to see him with the Crusaders opening up for the Rolling Stones in Boston Garden during the 1975 Stones tour. I had never heard of them at the time, but I was immediately impressed as soon as they started the opening number of the show. There was no question that the audience was also very impressed....they blew the walls out of the building!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns