We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 87.7 MHz FM, Monday 09/29, Livonia, Michigan  (Read 6991 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
87.7 MHz FM, Monday 09/29, Livonia, Michigan
« on: October 01, 2014, 0143 UTC »
Yesterday morning when I started my car to leave for work, I heard a rap/hip-hop broadcast on 87.7 MHz.  I know it's a pirate because I didn't hear anything today.

Now, if I had time, I would love to report this to the FCC and see them get busted.  But if they were playing bluegrass music, I would have sat in my driveway and listened to it!  In fact, this may have even inspired me to get some DF equipment and find the origin of the station, then knock on the door and give them some song requests!

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: 87.7 MHz FM, Monday 09/29, Livonia, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 2321 UTC »
Jordan, why would you report them and watch them get busted? Even if you dislike the music, they are still out and supporting free radio. That's not right man. Let the big dogs in their suits complain to the FCC. Now, if the pirates were interfering with your T.V, radio or whatever else, or was playing rude/obscene stuff, then it'd be okay to go and report them. But come on, if they're just playing some tunes, minding their own business, then let them have their fun man.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 0011 UTC »
Jordan, if you're going to make a decision to report or not report a station to the FCC based on your personal musical tastes, then for the sake of argument, I should be able to do the same. So let me play devil's advocate and say that I'm parked in my driveway and I hear a bluegrass station on 87.7.  I'm going to report them to the FCC(if I had the time). I sincerely hope it's not you deciding to start up a harmless operation based on your musical tastes. In the real world though, I happen to like bluegrass music....so you would be safe. I don't particularly care for rap music either....so I simply tune away. The FCC's decision to bust an unlicensed station is generally in response to a complaint, which atrainradio has pointed out in a very polite manner. Local AM and FM broadcasting is a very competitive market, with stations often going for millions of dollars. They don't like some little nickel and dime operation taking away their potential audience (that means advertising dollars). So they have legal routes to take care of the problem. You are not telling the FCC anything they aren't already aware of. I doubt that your distaste of rap or hip/hop music is going to rally an expensive direction finding search out of some local FCC office hell bent on busting up some harmless 10 watt operation on an FM channel that nobody ever tunes to, unless they're looking for pirates or perhaps some E-skip FM DXing. You seem to be straddling the fence on whether or not it's ok to listen to pirate radio. I don't see that you have posted any loggings yet....hopefully you get it straight in your mind that it is legal to listen and illegal to operate. This is irrespective of whether they play bluegrass music or rap...
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 0124 UTC »
Yeah that's the interesting thing. If you're not inhibiting the real stations from making money, they'll leave you alone it seems. Unless you're interfering with radio comms.

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 1242 UTC »
I'm not going to report the station.  It doesn't really matter to me.  By the way, I received it again yesterday morning while driving in Westland (even stronger than in my Livonia driveway), so I suspect the transmitter is south of where I live.  But I have XM (Ch. 61), Pandora, and over 1500 MP3's on CD-ROM, so I will just choose one of those options and ignore the pirate.  I am in favor of free radio in general, and I DO believe something should be done to allow some form of limited unlicensed broadcasting for non-commercial purposes.

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 2342 UTC »
Okay I'm glad you're going to leave them alone. I'm curious though how one can say ", I would love to report this to the FCC and see them get busted" and yet then go ahead and say " I am in favor of free radio in general, and I DO believe something should be done to allow some form of limited unlicensed broadcasting for non-commercial purposes." But, I'm not going to incite argument here. I'm just confused.

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 0011 UTC »
Okay I'm glad you're going to leave them alone. I'm curious though how one can say ", I would love to report this to the FCC and see them get busted" and yet then go ahead and say " I am in favor of free radio in general, and I DO believe something should be done to allow some form of limited unlicensed broadcasting for non-commercial purposes." But, I'm not going to incite argument here. I'm just confused.

Because I'm against rap "music" (if you want to call it that).  I always wonder how much less violent our society would be if rap never existed.

Offline The Insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 0244 UTC »
Rap music has no effect on violence in society. Crime and violence has been on the decline since the 1980s and 1990s when rap and hip-hop became mainstream. It's like me questioning how much less violence against African Americans there would be if we didn't have country music or similar genres.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 1546 UTC »
Rap music doesn't contribute to violence in America any more than action movies do -- where you can see people get shot, buildings blown up, people injured, you hear lots of cussing and bad language, and that's all in the first five minutes. :-)

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).