We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Roundup of Current SDRs [including USB & standalone]  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
Roundup of Current SDRs [including USB & standalone]
« on: September 01, 2014, 2122 UTC »
Found this while searching a bit on Twitter, using #SDR...

The descriptions of each SDR are simple [yet helpful IMHO]:
Cost/Production Status:
Frequency Range:
ADC Resolution:
Max Bandwidth:
TX/RX:
Preselectors:

At least I know what RTL USBs for HF to recommend, when asked.

Hope someone else might find this list helpful!

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/roundup-software-defined-radios/
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roundup of Current SDRs [including USB & standalone]
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 0035 UTC »
Wow, pretty good read, thanks for sharing.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline jonohudson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 1847 UTC »
Hi. I'm G4ABQ and must declare an interest because I now work part time with some ex Mirics guys who have taken their SDR chipset technology and packaged it into a very neat SDR radio called the SDRplay Radio Spectrum Processor. It can process up to 8MHz of spectrum as a time.  It launched last month and has just had its first independent review by the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association - which they published on http://www.wtfda.org/sdrplay.html - this shows what it can do on VHF.  The coverage is 100KHz up to 2GHz.  I've been using it on HF and it compares well with my ICOM IC-718 for sensitivity. The UK's RSGM Radcom will review it in their November magazine. At the moment it works with SRD# but they are also making available documented APIs to allow software folks to create their own cool new radio apps.  Anyway I've just joined this forum and am interested in what performance people are looking for in an SDR receiver.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 1439 UTC »
That list of SDRs is a starting point, and I applaud whoever is doing it, but there are MANY errors there.  It looks like someone took a quick cruse of some advertising web sites and put the page together from that with little firsthand exposure.

Also it looks like whoever put the page together came to SDR from the RTL dongles, not from anything that existed before that or was designed as SDR for radio reception (vs TV reception, as the RTLs) from the outset.  An example of this would be the lumping of any HF oriented SDR under “Ham Radio targeted SDRs”, this would be like saying the Yaesu FRG-7, Realistic DX-302, or Sony 7600 were “ham targeted receivers”, they are, instead, “general coverage” devices.  Apparently the person who built the list is unaware that until the hacking of the RTL dongles the majority of SDRs were HF or Lo-VHF limited, and only a few on the list are actually targeted (by design or marketing) as Ham Radio accessories. 

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline blw

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 2218 UTC »
That page should be held back until it is finished, imo. Lots of dongles if that is what you are after. Lots of non-dongle SDRs are missing from the list, including some big name brands.

I sure hope this thread doesn't continue to be a place for developers/affiliates to spam us with their advertising pitches.
All logs made from my own SDRs, boatanchors, and antennas
QTH: vicinity of Auburn, Alabama

please eQSL to: slowrollsandloops@gmail.com (thank you)