We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Great Lightbulb Conspiracy  (Read 3221 times)

Fansome

The Great Lightbulb Conspiracy
« on: October 02, 2014, 1622 UTC »
Luckily, we can trust the lightbulb industry these days...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/history/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 2020 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Lightbulb Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 1902 UTC »
More evidence that our society should never have abandoned the renewable, multifaceted resource that is whale oil.

What are the Japanese doing as we belabor this point? They're going on a whale hunt for "research purposes".

We need to close the whale oil gap with the Japanese, pronto.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 2158 UTC »
Thanks for providing an illuminating link that sheds light on an interesting subject, despite detractors who attempt to make light of the situation.... ;D
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 2209 UTC »
You and Pigmeat deserve each other.

Thanks for providing an illuminating link that sheds light on an interesting subject, despite detractors who attempt to make light of the situation.... ;D

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 2255 UTC »
Seriously Al, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that something like this would happen in the corporate world. I doubt that the Phoebus Cartel were the first to come up with the bright idea of "planned obsolescense". They certainly won't be the last. Now all we need is DimBulb to weigh in on the subject and further enlighten us.... ;)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 2040 UTC »
Don't indulge his fantasies, Skip. He always runs away in a huff when confronted with reality, only to come back days later with snarky posts.

Remember the "Burrow Owl Incident" of last week and his little fit? Typical Al.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 0124 UTC »
Light bulbs are just a filament of our imagination

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 0511 UTC »
How true.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 1426 UTC »
He he, "snarky."  I thought I was the only one that used that word :)

In all seriousness though, I recently got tired of buying incandescent lamps that burn for a few weeks or maybe a month before burning out, and began replacing them with led lamps.  I've got a pair in my porch light that have been burning 24/7 for over a year so far with no issues.  They don't seem as bright as they once were, and I'll be very surprised if they make it to their guaranteed 24K hours/3 years, but we'll see.  I do like the fact that they use 1/4 the electricity, and are electrically quiet to boot.  The new cree lamps have power factor correctors in them.

+-RH
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 1438 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns