We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Favorite SW station that no longer exists?  (Read 6118 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Favorite SW station that no longer exists?
« on: October 30, 2014, 1446 UTC »
I started DX'ing SW too late to catch any stations that no longer exist, but what're yours?

Update- Nov 13th- It seems that the overall consensus is that HJCB was the "best" defunct SW station. Would you agree?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 1328 UTC by atrainradio »
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Favorite SW station that no longer exists?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 2131 UTC »
I miss my Ecos del Torbes and Cadena Sutatenza. They used to be so strong and clear on 60 metres. The latter one was an educative school station, so programmes were not necessarily memorable, but up to 1990's I enjoyed many nights Ecos del Torbes' shows. Fortunately I have something on tape.

4980 Ecos del Torbes (VEN)
5075 Cadena Sutatenza (COL)

Sadly, the whole Latin American 60 metres has largely disappeared and will probably never come back. So my attention is now in MW stations, that can be recorded with SDR during an opening and picked up afterwards. Technology has indeed turned the whole dxing upside down.

Indonesians have gone the way of ruining transmitters. The strongest used to be RRI Ujung Pandang, but it was not very fun, because it happened to be unusually dry station with endless talk and Koran readings. Meanwhile stations in Java and Sumatra played Indonesian country and romantic ballads. Though, already in 1990s their SW operations were rather irregular. RRI Banda Aceh will for sure never activate their SW again thanks to the destruction by tsunami. Hear George Strait of Indonesia singing:

3905 RRI Banda Aceh (INS)

NBC Papua New Guinea used to be very strong with excellent shows at the best possible listening time, 1900 UTC, when they started their day. I have listened to Karai National Radio breakfast show more than doctor would allow, and I really wish they would some day come back. There is ABC Australia still, but... it's not the same, not at all.

4890 NBC Boroko (PNG)

Those come to my mind first.

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 2330 UTC »
Past favorites that I always listened to include:
Radio Clarin, in the Dominican Republic, always had a lively show.  I would listen to it most days when I got home from school. English broadcasts had DX programs and antenna building information, mailbag programs and great music.  I believe they still have a spanish-only broadcast on MW.

Radio Cook Islands was a favorite late-night listen for the relaxing Pacific Island music.

Radio Nederland had several programs that I enjoyed, including "The Happy Station", the "His & Hers Show", and DX programs.

HCJB's "DX Partyline" was also a favorite.

Also, the tropical bands were absolutely packed with Central and South American stations playing good music back then.

I'm sure there is a long list of others, but these are what immediately come to mind.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 2337 UTC »
My signature tells the tale.  I seriously miss Radio Nederland.  As for others, Radio Vlaanderen International comes to mind, as does Radio Do Portugal. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 1315 UTC »
HCJB - A religious broadcaster that was DXer friendly, and not in-your-face.  DXPL and Morning in the Mountains.

Radio Uganda NA Service - In 1980 RU seemed to be courting better PR in the year following Idi Amin's departure.  They had a nightly show on 15325 at 0300z from the new Soroti plant.  Unfortunately, the inmates still ran the asylum, and the TX was generally mis-tuned and over-modulated, throwing tons of splatter up and down the 19M band.  A real horror show.  The programming was worse, for it generally consisted of a popular album of the day, tracked, and the usual fare included The Pointer Sisters, Saturday Night Live, or James Brown.  IIRC there was one show in which they just repeated the song "Black Is Black" over and over.  On only one night that I know of they actually got it right, and played stack of scratchy 45s from popular East African artists, with great audio.  This reception changed my musical tastes forever; the music was unlike anything I had heard before and ignited a passion for African popular music.

Africa Numer Un - Once a passion for the music was developed, this was the daily go-to station.  I have dozens of hours of recordings from which I began to learn the names of the artists, bands, and tunes.  "Kilimanjaro!"

Tropical Band Africans In General - In the day, you could park yourself in front of the receiver around 0230z and follow the sunrise terminator from Madagascar to the The Gambia.  Along the way you could hear up to 2 dozen countries as they woke up and fired up their transmitters.  A great scenario for DXing for new stations as well as checking in with old friends.  I have often thought how great it would have been to have an SDR to document this.

The Australian Domestic SW Broadcasters on 49 and 31M - always great listening.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 1500 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 1046 UTC »
Radio Tahiti.  15,170 I think it was...

for the island music.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 1553 UTC »
HCJB, The Voice of the Andes.  Also, KUSW from Salt Lake City when the Carlsons owned it. 
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 2017 UTC »
I started DX'ing SW too late to catch any stations that no longer exist, but what're yours?

My favorite was WJCR 7490 that played Southern Gospel music.  It broadcasted from Upton, KY.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 2044 UTC »
Great thread, ditto on HCJB  and Radio Nederland (or, how much great content can you cram into one hour on SW), both of them could frequently be simply _great_, and a necessary solace during the Clinton/Bush II eras. I must also mention the quirky, leftist Radio for Peace International, (do I have that right?), from Costa Rica in English for many hours at a time, night after night. I don't remember the drama of how they were shut down. Compared to today's internet news, their content today might seem tame, but in the day you wouldn't normally hear that stuff anywhere else. Of course, my real favorite is KIPM, but that doesn't count. Just pulled out a gorgeous glossy QSL from more than 10 years ago. What a trip, Mr. Maxwell. People intrigued beautiful girls with your station, and lived happily ever after, 'tis true. Again, killer thread, looking forward to more stories. I'd love to see some of these stations rise from the dead.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 2045 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 2051 UTC »
Jarl: Thanks a million for the Banda Aceh link. Chillingly beautiful.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 0211 UTC »
Radio St. Helena (great annual event!)
Radio Jordan (English Service) (one of the stations, from which my hobby starts)
Radiobras & Eurosonor Radio (great music!)
Radio Sweden & Radio Netherlands Worldwide (great programs!)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 0235 UTC by ulx2 »
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 1139 UTC »
In the 1980's there were so many broadcasters to chose from that it was difficult to pick a favorite! I used to listen almost nightly to Radio Exterior de Espana with their powerhouse signal to the East Coast of North America on 11880. Well produced and informative programs as well as some really good indigenous music!

Another favorite was WRNO in the first couple of years, especially with Glenn Hausers program. But the one station I always found fascinating was Radio Gjirokaster from Albania on 5057 KHZ. It was heard here fairly regular and sometimes with a really good signal. It was SO much different than the stale propaganda that Tirana was putting out at the time. Gjirokaster seemed to be the alter ego, with lots of wild gypsy music. It was seemingly a station of mad abandon.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Mentholyptus

• Ligonier Pennsylvania area
  • "Happy Homemaker by day... Pirate SWLer by night!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 2042 UTC »
I used to like listening to Radio Norway, and the radio soap operas that the BBC used to run
Primary radio: Icom R75
Secondary radios: Kenwood R1000, Icom R9000
Thirdary radio: Tecsun 880 Portable
Antennas: Par EF-SWL - W6LVP Loop - 25 ft  longwire
=====> Please eQSL to:  pm121152@gmail.com  <=====

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 0239 UTC »
Liked to listen to the smaller countries.
Radio Andorra
Radio Luxemburg
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 2324 UTC »
R. Nederlands [DX Show was the BEST]
R. Canada International ["Sunday Morning" was the BEST radio magazine show for me]
BBCWS 5975 - the go-to news source [They are no longer easily accessible or a viable news source]

60M full of signals!!!
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns