We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: favorite SWBC station that still exists?  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
favorite SWBC station that still exists?
« on: November 05, 2014, 0224 UTC »
This is in response to the other thread on a similar topic, and because I could use a cheerful thread about SW stations. 

What's everyone's favorite SW broadcaster or broadcasters still in existence?  Mine... I'd have to say Radio Nacional da Amazonia, The Mighty KBC, and PCJ are all up there.  I'm a fan of Channel Africa from way back, and ZBC out of Zanzibar is nice for the music they play, as is the Voice of the Revolution of Tigray from Ethiopia, when I can hear them. 
And Morocco.  And... I could go on.  :) 

So what does everyone else say? 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: favorite SWBC station that still exists?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 2129 UTC »
RT Zanzibar is a fave afternoon listen.  I also listen to R Australia and AIR when the opportunity arises.  Verdad 4055 is a nice relaxed station when I need that; a sentimental favorite around Christmas.  CFRX and CKZN in lieu of my local talk radio.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 0329 UTC »
AIR and SLBC are great for music, agreed there.  So are Bangladesh and several of the Asian religious stations, for that matter.  I'll tune in R Australia on local Friday and Saturday nights for the football and rugby coverage; that's fun when you have insomnia.  :)  I often end up trying for New Zealand then too.  Always quality, RNZI. 

Maybe it's just my QTH, but Radio Verdad is a difficult copy at best here unless propagation is amazing.  Then again, if they're in, chances are loads of other Latin Americans will be too. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 0411 UTC »
Radio Progreso and Radio Rebelde for music on shortwave. Typical S9+40 without a preamp tends to make for easy reception at night. ;)

CRI, Radio Austraila, Radio Havana, Radio Japan, Radio Romania, and a few others for the occasional cultural segment and similar.

Moving down the dial, Radio Medi 1 from Morocco for music on longwave. Not exactly easy reception, but it is often listenable for an hour or two most nights here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 0048 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 1820 UTC »
My favorite, existing shortwave station is the Voice Of Greece. Love the music they play. A lot of it sounds Middle Eastern tinged -- obviously because Greece is so close to Turkey and other Mideast nations -- but also has some of the saddest sounding ballads that can be heard on the airwaves, usually sung by female singers. But haunting, beautiful music also.

A runner up would probably be Radio Nacional Da Amazonia. After that would be Radio Australia, mainly because they always have interesting news and feature programs. RNZI is also one I'll listen to if it's on.

In the past I used to listen to the Voice of Turkey every evening, but although they still exist, they don't come in as well as they did in the 1990's. Their program in Turkish to Europe used to be non-stop Turkish music, with some talk in Turkish from time to time.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 0015 UTC »
Agreed about the Voice of Greece.  Some wonderfully haunting music there.  :)  I've been known to come home from work and tune them in, although then, doing chores/making dinner has this tendency to get forgotten about due to musical distractions!  Whoops.  Turkey's Turkish service comes in quite well here, and that's another one I can end up with my ear glued to.  Ditto Denge Kurdistana - wow is that some great music. 

When propagation is right and Brazilians are all over the bands, I have myself a musical field day.  :)  And I have to admit, if china's Firedrake weren't a nasty jammer, it'd be okay in itself.  Too bad it's played with nefarious intent and not just a legit chinese classical music service. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 0557 UTC »
I like Radio Rebelde; it has good music, and I can usually tune it in pretty much whenever.

I've also caught Radio Romania a few times, and have enjoyed both their music and news reporting. During the Ukraine uproar they did some really good reporting.

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 0228 UTC »
Radio Australia
Radio New Zealand
CFRX/CFRW 1010 Toronta

~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 1213 UTC »
Radio Romania
Radio Australia
Radio New Zealand International
The Mighty KBC
Radio Prague
Radio Japan
Radio Serbia
Radio Öömrang
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 1218 UTC »
I don't know about you, but I'm delighted that so many old friends are being relayed by Global 24 now.  Radio Prague, RSI Slovakia, Voice of Russia, and *Radio Sweden*.  :) 

I've never yet heard Radio Oomrang.  I've always been at work.  One of these years that transmission's going to fall on a weekend. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 0342 UTC »
I've never yet heard Radio Oomrang.  I've always been at work.  One of these years that transmission's going to fall on a weekend.  

Feb 21, 2015 = Saturday. Probably will be on 1600-1659 UTC, as it has been in the past.

In previous years, I set the receiver and computer to record it. Last year, as soon as it was done, I copied the MP3 to my work computer and listened. This year can be home and listen live.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 0459 UTC »
February 21=Saturday=me marking my blooming calendar!  :)  Thanks. 

Caught Polish Radio in English via Global 24 tonight.  I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that on SW again.  So very glad I was wrong. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 0627 UTC »
All India Radio, whenever I can get it! It's regional music, it's not something easily spread over one internet site. Great thread!
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 1724 UTC »
I like Radio Rebelde; it has good music, and I can usually tune it in pretty much whenever.

Tell us more, Comrade Fansome.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 1400 UTC »
RE: Global 24's schedule:

I'm glad to hear they play / relay programs from other stations like Radio Sweden but their schedule page is junk. It locked my browser up.

Any website that expects you have the latest computer with the latest browser is a website that is limiting who can access their information.

Why they couldn't just put the list on their regular webpage in standard HTML is a mystery. It can't be that difficult.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).