We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: w1aw/7 seattle washington 18159khz  (Read 3946 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
w1aw/7 seattle washington 18159khz
« on: November 10, 2014, 2221 UTC »
This just me bragging so forgive me    ;D

I just contacted w1aw/7 in Seattle Wash and got a 59 signal report with my piss weak FT817ND running 5 watts USB into my homebrew vertical antenna... from the worlds worse location... low ground with apartments 1/4 mile all around... talk about noise... not bad for me in Troy, Ohio ehhh?

My point is this, if band conditions are right you can be heard so don't let low power make you think you can't be heard, sure it may be a challenge but that's the fun of it. I feel better doing this than I ever did contacting central Europe running 250 watts into a 1000 foot V-beam from my super quiet Maine QTH.

On 20 meters I seem to be able to receive good reports into Texas almost any time of day with 5 watts....

And to be honest I don't operate all that much, truth be known I am just an SWL that happens to have a ham license.

If any hamsters here would like to set up a sked I would go for it... Tests are welcome also...

P.S.  I don't like contests, DX pile ups, or any  such operations those that do, fine I'll just sit back and listen while I build some sort of something  ::)

later all... & 73 Vince
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ladderline

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: w1aw/7 seattle washington 18159khz
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 0009 UTC »
Question: If I had used CW for example on a scheduled transmission and while I was transmitting there was 5 9 9 on the left side of my window, would that mean that the receiver got it clear and strong? Thank you and may you have a nice evening, Sirs!

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 0015 UTC »
599 is the best you can get in CW... perfectly copyable signal...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ladderline

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 0031 UTC »
Thank you, Sir!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 1918 UTC »
Sometimes I think during QSO's CW stations just sent "5-9-9" no matter what the reception is -- if they can read it, they send "5-9-9".

It's fairly rare I've heard a CW QSO where they didn't send "5-9-9". I think I've heard "5-7-9" a couple times. Don't recall hearing other numbers, if it's happened, I didn't log it down.....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ladderline

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 1932 UTC »
Sometimes I think during QSO's CW stations just sent "5-9-9" no matter what the reception is -- if they can read it, they send "5-9-9".

It's fairly rare I've heard a CW QSO where they didn't send "5-9-9". I think I've heard "5-7-9" a couple times. Don't recall hearing other numbers, if it's happened, I didn't log it down.....

What I meant was that it was one way. I was on scheduled transmission. And I saw it on my Yaesu 857D screen 5 9 and black convergent lines which meant that it was perfect. They dissect when the frequency is off-line. Did they get my CW, Sir?

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 1035 UTC »

What I meant was that it was one way. I was on scheduled transmission. And I saw it on my Yaesu 857D screen 5 9 and black convergent lines which meant that it was perfect. They dissect when the frequency is off-line. Did they get my CW, Sir?

On most transceivers the power meter tells you how much power the radio is putting into the antenna. I'm guessing that's how the power meter works on your Yaesu 857D.

It basically tells you whether there is full power going to the antenna. It doesn't tell you whether the other person heard your CW or not.

Whether the other person (to whom you're sending the CW) can hear it or not depends on several things: ionospheric propagation, their own receiver, their antenna, etc.

You could be putting full power with low SWR into a properly tuned antenna, and if propagation is bad, or the person you're sending the CW to has a poor receiver, they still may not hear your transmission.

If they get back to you and give you a signal report, then you know they heard you.

If it's one way only, and they don't come back to you, you can only guess whether they heard you or not. But if the power meter on your radio is showing full power, that is a sign that at least your transceiver and antenna are putting out a full signal.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 1516 UTC by BoomboxDX »

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey QRP is fun ehhhh???  Not easy hitting stations in a pile up with 5 watts but it can be done...

28417Khz USB 1706utc VP2ERJ

Signal report... who cares... he heard me ehhhh??? and that's all it takes...

Posted it on the DX cluster and now listen to the huge pile up....  ;D
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 1133 UTC »
Anguilla? Cool.

Not a ham here, but if I were to go the ham route, I would probably go the QRP route, or at least limit myself to stock (lower) power.

When I had a 3 element 11 meter wire beam up, I was able to talk to Mexico on just a stock SSB CB with 12 watts output.

I hear guys on the ham bands with their linears and maxed out processors, and although it may be fun for them, I just don't see that sort of thing as appealing.

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 1417 UTC »
Actually, linear amplifiers are becoming old fashioned thing. From what I have casually read and heard, QRP is the theme of today. It is more popular than ever. Not the least thanks to digital modes, where too much power only disturbs the transmission up to the point where it becomes indecipherable.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 1543 UTC »
Quite right Jari...

I never ran more than 200 watts PEP in my life...  I'm not really into contests but I am tempted to try for a rare place once in awhile.  The fun of it comes from doing what you DON'T expect... that's the thrill of it for me anyway...

To be honest I seldom ever operated on the ham bands anyway, mostly operated in the MARS program, if I did operate it was always on 3885 khz AM with a Collins 32V1 transmitter running about 100 watts with a 4D32 final and a pair of 807's as the modulator to a 130 foot dipole fed with 600 ohm open wire line to a 250 watt Johnson matchbox...  but that was then... ;-)

Back in those days when operating MARS the biggest thing was being heard over a Cuban 'spy' station operating close by on 4030 KHZ AM.... <heh>

73 Vince
KA1IIC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns