We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ordered my first Tecsun PL660 today  (Read 2176 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Ordered my first Tecsun PL660 today
« on: November 11, 2014, 0055 UTC »
I have had a tecsun 380 since Jan 2013. Finally got around to getting the 660, and can't wait to get it! Finally will have all the features of the "Beast" Grundig 750 in portable! With SSB, Air band, and full SW coverage (1711kc through 29999kc). So happy portable DX days are here again!

Anyone on here who owns a 660, comment here about your best and worst experiences with the 660. 73's
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ladderline

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ordered my first Tecsun PL660 today
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 0108 UTC »
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv-NrloMybOYtD4o6ZCixn1YcpW6Jh-180anSttJyb7s5sFLhp0w

I have Grundig G4000A with the same size and texture as yours. The above is almost of the same make as your Tecsun. Cuban mole Ana Montes used a Sony with the same make as your Tecsun in listening to encrypted radio messages from Cuba. That should also be as good as the Sony given that they both have the same make. I saw it in the web. Congratulations, my friend.

No intent to be rude my friend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 0113 UTC by ladderline »

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 0430 UTC »
If the experiences I've had with my own little PL-660 are to be believed, you're about to have yourself some marvelous SW listening!  :)  Ask Markocpik (SP? sorry Mark, I can't spell your screenname) about the night we tested his Eton E1 and my DX-398 against the PL-660.  :)  The little Tecsun rather blew the other two out of the water. 

In all fairness, it's fair to middling on MW and not great on LW, but oh my goodness, the SW reception is remarkable. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 1426 UTC »
Awesome, I can not wait!
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 0107 UTC »
I bought a 660, then later an 880... I returned the 880 for a few reasons but kept the 660...

While working on my Father in Law's Icom 706 mobile setup, I was tuning around 20M, where I caught a ZL2 in Christchurch NZ... I pulled out the 660 & heard the same station, on the built in whip, at the same quality. He was running 800W...

It is my carry all when I am not willing to sling around the SDR setup with me. I carry 35' of wire on a fly fishing reel [for when needed]... All contained in fanny pack, along with some extra AAs...

It's a very compact SWL station & the 660 is truly impressive... I used to have a Sony 2010... I think the synch works better on the 660 & the radio doesn't cost you $400...

Well worth $100 IMHO

Enjoy!!!

Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm