We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Russia's New World Broadcast Service is 'Sputnik'  (Read 2701 times)

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
Russia's New World Broadcast Service is 'Sputnik'
« on: November 26, 2014, 0201 UTC »
http://www.voanews.com/content/russia-launches-new-media-brand-called-sputnik/2515216.html

November 10, 2014
Russia's New World Broadcast Service is 'Sputnik'
by Matthew Hilburn

Russia has launched another state-run, international “media brand” called Sputnik, a name with connotations of the Cold War.
Sputnik, according to a statement, is for people who are “tired of aggressive propaganda promoting a unipolar world and want a different perspective.”
Announcing the launch Monday in Moscow, Dmitry Kiselev, referred to by many as the Kremlin’s propagandist-in-chief, said Sputnik will “provide an alternative interpretation of the world, of course,” adding that “there is demand for this.”
Kiselev, a conservative television anchor who heads the Rossiya Segodnya media outlet created by Putin last year to promote Russia's image abroad, said the outlet would have "news hubs" in 30 cities including Washington, London, Berlin and Paris, as well as the capitals of several  former Soviet republics.
Russian news
According to the news release, Sputnik will broadcast in 30 languages, with over 800 hours of radio programming a day, covering over 130 cities and 34 countries by the end of next year. Sputnik will offer news wires, a radio station, a website and mobile phone apps.
"In this world, Japan is Japanese, Turkey is Turkish, China is Chinese and Russia is Russian," Kiselev said in a statement. "We are not suggesting that other nations should adopt the Russian way of life. We believe everyone is entitled to live in their own way. Our outlook on the world is rooted in international law.”
Western journalists based in Moscow  were quick to react to Sputnik’s creation on Twitter.

​​Kiselev would not discuss the cost of Sputnik.
Russia has been working hard to repair its international image in the wake of the Ukraine crisis.
In another media development in Russia, American cable news broadcaster, CNN, announced Monday it will no longer be available to Russian cable TV providers starting next year.
According to TASS, no reason for the move was given.
The Voice of America, as well as many other international broadcasters have moved to solely distribute their content in Russia online.
Reuters information contributed to this report.
http://www.voanews.com/content/russia-launches-new-media-brand-called-sputnik/2515216.html
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Russia's New World Broadcast Service is 'Sputnik'
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 0226 UTC »
This article does specifically mention a "Radio Station", so maybe there is the possibility of Russia returning to shortwave? I miss the Radio Moscow of the 1980's with Joe Adamov and Moscow Mailbag, the decidely communist spin on world news(which I vehemently disagreed with), the at the time feeble attempts at promoting Soviet Rock N Roll, etc. I don't miss the boring marxist commentaries though, or the multiple frequency usage that often blocked things I really wanted to hear. Still, it would be nice to have something else to listen to besides Brother Stair.....I'm sure that Putin's efforts to promote Russia's image will come at the cost of having to listen to anti-American diatribes. The name Sputnik is already a bit of a swipe at us. It would be nice to hear them beeping at us again though ;)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 1502 UTC »
dropping CNN ehhh!!!  Me thinks that putin will try to be the next hitler...  He needs to be warned to stay away from 'free' Countries and that includes all former USSR states and even more so any of the Norse Countries... HANDS OFF!

I will listen but only to see where the scat is being tossed...   
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 2053 UTC »
Radio sPutink
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 0021 UTC »
LOL!!! Good one, ulx.

I wonder how the Midget of Moscow is dealing with the bottom falling out of the oil market and the ruble dropping like a rock? The oligarchs that keep him in power must be starting to think, "We can always replace him with that fat North Korean kid."

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 0259 UTC »
The TCS Shortwave Relay Network is currently in negotiation with the Russian Republic, to relay Sputnik programs to audiences in North America, in return for bucketloads of US Dollars payable in gold...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 0644 UTC »
I wonder when we'll be getting news of any Russian SW broadcasts. I'm sure they haven't torn down all those VOR (and other) transmitters yet.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).