We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC's Plan to regulate the Internet - Net Neutrality  (Read 10536 times)

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: FCC's Plan to regulate the Internet - Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 1426 UTC »
Rising costs in more taxes and fees will force many back to dial up service >:(
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Mentholyptus

• Ligonier Pennsylvania area
  • "Happy Homemaker by day... Pirate SWLer by night!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 2007 UTC »
Well, the FCC got their way today! Kiss net freedom goodbye   :^(
What's that gonna mean for sites like HFU, which "encourage" illegal activity??
Primary radio: Icom R75
Secondary radios: Kenwood R1000, Icom R9000
Thirdary radio: Tecsun 880 Portable
Antennas: Par EF-SWL - W6LVP Loop - 25 ft  longwire
=====> Please eQSL to:  pm121152@gmail.com  <=====

Offline Bergante

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 2156 UTC »
What is net freedom? Allowing de facto monopolies to charge twice for the same service? Some want to charge the user for Internet access, while charging the service providers for "transport to the customer".

Some cable providers would love to turn the Internet into a private BBS of sorts, where their customers wouldn't have any choice and the entry barriers for potential new competitors would be impossible to overcome.

The FCC is right. And, disclosure, I work for an ISP.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 2321 UTC »
I sincerely believe that anyone who thinks that allowing cable companies and ISP providers to regulate themselves on behalf of the American public are damn fools. I'm not the biggest fan of the FCC but the internet IS A PUBLIC UTILITY by every conceivable definition of the term. There is no plausible argument against the fact. This has absolutely nothing to do with "innovators" or "job creators" (typical political spin)....only the hundred plus million consumers who use the internet day in and day out for a myriad of different reasons. Have you already forgotten how the electromagnetic spectrum was chopped up like diced ham for the interests of the cellular industry?  Seriously, anyone who thinks that this is a case of government intrusion needs to rethink their reasons for opposing net neutrality. Yeah, I'd like to look at that mystery plan that hasn't been released to the public also, but I betcha if the FCC gets to implement the plan, they will more than likely not do much regulating of the internet....most likely they will be keeping an eye out for disingenuous cable and ISP providers and their attempts to insure that "investors" fill their pockets at our expense.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 2312 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 0617 UTC »
I for one am for net neutrality, but I fear that, as everything the government touches, something will get lost in translation.  Think of all the bills the house and senate look at and pass every year.  In most cases, the eventual law, by the time it winds its way through the bureaucracy in DC, is either so full of holes and earmarks as to be ineffective, or so distorted that it bears little resemblance to its original intent.

Lets be clear boys, a lot is at stake (Pointing to DC)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 1505 UTC »
I think there's little the FCC could do to limit what's actually broadcast on the internet, for First Amendment reasons.

Congress already has a law in place that protects ISP's from speech made by third parties. I think that would still hold.

Any attempt at limiting speech would undoubtedly end up at the Supreme Court.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 2328 UTC »
Lest someone get the idea that I am a hostile, opinionated, and contentious indivividual seeking to subvert the American Dream (I am somewhat opinionated :)), read for yourself the following news releases from the FCC Daily Digest posted today. Also included is the dissenting opinion of FCC Commissioner Ajit Varadaraj Pai which was also released today. Judge for yourself while keeping in mind that Ajit Pai was appointed by Barack Obama upon the recommendation of Republican Mitch McConnell. Mr. Pai was formerly a lawyer for Verizon Communications. Judge for yourself....

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Digest/2015/dd150227.html

THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 0014 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Nella F.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 0011 UTC »
THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW

The lust of the few will destroy all.
                                                            :(

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 0521 UTC »
Lets also keep in mind that most of the people in DC view the constitution as a mere inconvenience to the their ambitions.  This administration has proven that time and time again.

+-RH

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 1413 UTC »
Agreed Red Hat! This whole subject is far from achieving anything remotely akin to closure. My argument is that net neutrality protects the interests of the overwhelming majority of internet users. It is not just another golden goose for CEO's and investors to reap huge profits at the expense of the people who depend on efficient and quality service at a reasonable price. That it can be abused by our political leaders is certainly looming large in the big picture. That it can be abused by the very businesses that provide us with service has been somewhat abated. Is this a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire? May very well be. It is up to the voters to elect those who represent our interests. This ethos seems to have broken down to a large degree with the polarization of our elected officials into a gridlock situation that increasingly leads me to believe we need another grass roots movement. Not one that drinks tea nor one whose platform is to bring Wall Street to it's knees. I'm sick and tired of the extremists on both sides of the fence. Is there anybody that truly speaks for the citizens in the middle? I've been looking but I haven't found them yet.  But I agree wholeheartedly that we need to hold our political leaders accountable for their actions...the internet needs to remain transparent and controlled by the users inasmuch as this can be done in the real world. I don't see much of a difference between the current administration and the previous ones. It's a case of Allemande Left or Promenade Right....but they all do the dance...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 1417 UTC by Skipmuck »

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 0320 UTC »
Sadly, I agree.  Behind closed doors, there are no party lines.  It's all about who lined your pockets.

Like the 6 month old casserole in the fridge, lets throw 'em all out and start over.  It's about the only way the common man in this country will ever get any service.

+-RH

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 2240 UTC »
The FCC now regulating internet service providers can only be GOOD for PIRATE RADIO!

Why?  It gives them more to do, without any additional resources.

Ought to move shortwave radio enforcement down another notch on their list of priorities.

And yeah--- "net neutrality" is only what we've had up until now.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Fansome

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 2350 UTC »
I for one welcome our new FCC overlords.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 2329 UTC »
Today's (3-13-15) release appears to be a clarification of what the new rules do and what they don't. Interesting reading....

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/DOC-332486A1.pdf