We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question on pirate radio  (Read 15213 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Question on pirate radio
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 0123 UTC »
I think I have picked up one or two MW pirates in the last few years. As others have mentioned, it is a tough band antenna-wise, both for the broadcaster and listener.

Radio Celestial used to be very active from NYC on 1710, and before them Lubavitcher Radio. Is Celestial still on?

A few years ago, there was a semi local pirate that would appear on 1610 between Thanksgiving and New Years, with ID's as WEDG The Wedge, playing non stop Christmas music. I heard it for a few years in a row, but nothing of the last year or two.

I can certainly add a new forum dedicated to MW pirate loggings/etc, that's a good idea.

Celestial has been off the air for a few years. They were always getting the knock, but I don't know if that's the reason they're gone? It seems to me there was something about the transmitter going pfft.

Speaking of Lubavitcher, the rumor when they left the air is they sold the transmitter to Celestial. As the hobby is full of half truths when it comes to operational details, for very good reasons, it's hard to know what is true and what isn't.

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 2346 UTC »
I've been trying to get a MW pirate station established for a bit, but trying to get an antenna up has been a big pain in the six-side....

Xmas

Offline Tim Bucknall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 1613 UTC »
@pigmeat congratulations on your part-15 dx it’s probably a record.

medium wave pirates are active in Ireland but on standard inband euro. channels like 1395

Radio Britannia in yorkshire was on 1494 recently

Dutch pirates are alive and well in the 1600-1700 range
Including some in Belgium and Germany

Greece has an insane amount of piracy 1000-1800khz

AM is considered dead in many european countries so enforcement is weak to non existent

The AM band is considered dead