We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Enforcement Bureau Field Resources Poised to Shrink  (Read 7397 times)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: FCC Enforcement Bureau Field Resources Poised to Shrink
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 1349 UTC »
I do not mean Part 15 broadcasters, I mean the cheap electronics that spew forth vast quantities of RFI when they should not (e.g. TVs, computers, routers, powerlines, air conditions, microwaves, dishwashers, electric blankets, grow lights, CFL bulbs, so on & so forth).

rh - I know the answer. It was a rhetorical statement. We're screwed in this respect and it will only get worse.

Perhaps the answer is vigilante enforcement......

We could even print up some official-looking fill-in-the-blank forms....

"Please respond within 10 business days with proof that you are licensed to operate that dishwasher while TCS is on the air."  Heh.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 0033 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 2043 UTC »
Midwood/Flatbush, Brooklyn, where things are indeed wild and woolly. One of every three signals on the FM dial here is a pirate. Say what you will about their programming, but they indeed are providing information/entertainment and local service every other broadcaster will not.

I was recently thinking about ways to manage the dial more along the lines of harm reduction than whack-a-mole. With this latest news, I'm also worried about the vigilante angle getting out of hand. Especially in states like NY, NJ, and FL, where calling the cops to stop a righteous ham from borking your gear is effectively self-incrimination. FL also has a stand-your-ground law....

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 0029 UTC »
I was snarking on the non-broadcast type interference on shortwave..... taking out your neighbor's microwave oven, that kind of thing...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums