We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Shortwave transmitter in Guyana is being repaired  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shortwave transmitter in Guyana is being repaired
« on: March 12, 2015, 2223 UTC »
Found this article on: www.radioeins.de/programm/sendungen/medienmagazin/radio_news/beitraege/2015/guyana.html

Unfortunately was I not able to copy the pictures from the article.

The state radio Guyana (National Communications Network) has commissioned the repair of his 2012 failed shortwave transmitter. This is a solid-state transmitters installed in 2010 with 10 kW and operating frequency 3290 kHz. The previously used tube stations are apparently no longer exists.

By the supplier, specialized in the production of such AM transistor transmitter technician Jamie Labadia, the transmitter is activated provisionally on 2 February 2015 and is now running at 1 kW. A new full power operation is possible only after further repairs to the transmitter and antenna.

According Labadia is checked, switch the transmitter on a higher frequency. How has shown is the current frequency in the 90-meter band itself for the purpose of supplying the maximum 500 km away inland from Guyana to low.

In the past, the state radio Guyana also took a short wave frequency in the 49-meter band (most recently 5950 kHz). However, a higher current switching between day and night lower frequency, which supports the propagation conditions into account each different is possible only with transmitters in tube technology.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 1248 UTC by Oliver »
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shortwave transmitter in Guyana is being repaired
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 0534 UTC »
*Sigh* another one of Bernie Wise's abortions bites the dust.  Anyone who has worked on something built by Energy-Onix knows what I'm talking about! ;)

In unrelated news, Valentie, NY where E/O is based, is seeking $500K in a defaulted coporate development loan.
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2014/12/village-seeks-repayment-from-energy-onix/

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 0547 UTC »
I'm just a simple DXer, and I don't know much about the broadcast business. Could you elaborate?

*Sigh* another one of Bernie Wise's abortions bites the dust.  Anyone who has worked on something built by Energy-Onix knows what I'm talking about! ;)

In unrelated news, Valentie, NY where E/O is based, is seeking $500K in a defaulted coporate development loan.
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2014/12/village-seeks-repayment-from-energy-onix/

+-RH

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 0956 UTC »
Bernie got his start in the 60's working for RCA on flamethrower UHF TV rigs, then set off to form CCA in 1962.  CCA was notable for bringing grounded grid PA design to high power FM transmitters, that with the authorization of FM stereo broadcasting, were becoming more in demand.  They made tube based AM rigs as well, and there are lots of them out there in backup service to this day.  The CCA FM rigs I've worked on over the years were pretty solid, but their efficiency sucked.  It took close to 60KW to make 25KW of output power, because there was so little gain in PA stage, you would need massive amounts of RF drive.  This is why, withe the exception of some Italian and E/O rigs, all current tube FM rigs are of a grid driven tetrode design.  Efficiency is more important than ever, and no one wants to pay the power bill on something with 30% efficiency, when a comparable tetrode transmitter is around 65-70%.

To his credit though, there are a few CCA FM's over 40 years old still cranking out the juice.  Tube life was good too :)

Fast forward to the late 80's when Energy Onix was founded.  Bernie continued making tube based FM's up to around 20KW IIRC.  His solid state low power FM stuff was ok, but his medium and shortwave rigs were not so hot.  I've never been a fan of Class-E designs, and all Bernies' AM's were class-e, pushed to the limit.  That stuff barely worked at 1MHz, I'm not sure how He managed to get 10 MHz out of it.  Based on the article, that transmitter was installed in 2010, and ran for 2 years, then died.  I've heard E/O's tube shortwave rigs were much more reliable, and a lot more forgiving of things like hot shacks and dirty power, two things that are a real problem in many parts of the world.

Just my 3¢

+-RH

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 1053 UTC »
Is CFRX's transmitter from Energy Onix?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 1109 UTC »
Nope, it's an Armstrong, another one of my least favorite brands.

+-RH