We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Running Android apps on a Windows PC  (Read 1410 times)

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Running Android apps on a Windows PC
« on: May 14, 2015, 0304 UTC »
My cheap Android tablet died tonight while listening to XLR8.  Rather than make a late night run to Wal-Mart, I decided to see if there was a way to run Shazam on a Windows PC.  After a bit of searching, I found an Android emulator for Windows  called BlueStacks App Player.  Downloaded and installed it, logged into the Play Store with my Google account, and installed the Shazam app.  Everything worked perfectly and I was able to ID most of the obscure music that XLR8 played tonight.

Although I have only used it to run Shazam, the BlueStacks web site claims that it will run 96% of the Android apps out there. YMMV.

http://www.bluestacks.com/
Raleigh, NC

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: Running Android apps on a Windows PC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 1542 UTC »
I've never been able to get Shazam to work with BlueStacks on my PC, but I've been using Sound Hound with BlueStacks for ages now to ID songs right off the SDR running on the same PC.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns