We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: scheduled tests on SW to simulate Amelia Earhart’s radio distress calls  (Read 6484 times)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
For nearly a week after Earhart disappeared radio distress calls were heard on her primary frequencies by many stations around the Pacific. Signals were also heard by members of the general public on their home shortwave sets in several locations around the U.S. and Canada on harmonics of her frequencies. During the Niku VIII expedition we will broadcast simulations of some of the reported distress calls on a frequency close to one of the harmonics using an antenna rigged to simulate the characteristics of the transmitting antenna. Anyone with a shortwave radio is encouraged to listen in and let us know if you picked up the signal.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Niku8/dailies/niku8dailies.html
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
This is going to have someone spitting penguins.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cool, always enjoyed those annual "Hello, Itasca" broadcasts on the funny bands.  Apparently today's the final day of this simulation and they experienced some tech problems.  Too much noise in my area, I probably wouldn't hear them anyway.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anybody hear anything? All I got was some HAM in Kalamazoo named Elvis talking to another HAM name of Jimmy Hoffa in New Jersey.

Please excuse my attempt at humor, juvenile as it was. I actually heard the station early this morning. See my post below.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 1840 UTC by myteaquinn »
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
If they're still on 14280 and 14310, I'm only hearing Spanish QSOs, surrounded by the usual 20m motley crew on 14275 and 14313.  I hadn't listened to 20m in a couple of years and it's still the same ol', same ol'.
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
14295 USB at 0417 quite a pile-up wanting to talk to the team on  Nikumaroro. Trying to get the callsign but there is a lot of static right now.

The operator said that they would be on the air for a couple of weeks.

Lee; T31LP is the operator on the island. He is S2 and all the other's are killing his signal.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 0123 UTC by myteaquinn »
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yup, I heard that pileup, couldn't make heads or tails of anything.   ???
(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

I can hear the pileup right now at 04:26 on 14280, but nothing from the station in the field. Oh well. He seems to be making contacts mainly with people from the Rockies west.

Yup, I heard that pileup, couldn't make heads or tails of anything.   ???

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
I heard pileup here in AZ at 0400, but not T31LP... will keep trying. This should be interesting to watch.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
Certainly coming in well tonite into Alberta, noted a bit after 0400 working split with tx on 14290 and listening down 10; and later working simplex on 14280.  I had contacted them on the first night so didn't call, it's not like they were lonely - there are lots of callers!

73 Don
VE6JY

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
oooOOOOooooh, I hear Amelia project on 14290usb, and the pile up down on 14280usb.  Thanks VE6JY for saying its split. I finally caught them this third night...
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
All I heard was "Send money to Ric Gillespie. Cash and blank checks only."

Fansome

I wish I would have asked her what the backup plan would be, back when she and I were dating. Now we'll never know. Rest in peace Amelia.

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
0423z on 6/21/2015 Lee is on 14280 listening on 14290. Weak but readable signal here. S3 with little noise.  

At 0431 T31LP was signing off and mentioned that he would try 7185 at 0800z.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 0434 UTC by myteaquinn »
Northeast Ohio
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I wish I would have asked her what the backup plan would be, back when she and I were dating. Now we'll never know. Rest in peace Amelia.

You dated your Aunt? Sheesh! Someone cue "Dueling Banjos".

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns