We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Four hundred pirate radio setups shut down in London in just two years  (Read 2575 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Regulators have raided nearly 400 suspected pirate radio setups in London over the last two years, the Standard can reveal.

Figures released by Ofcom in response to a Freedom of Information request show nearly a quarter of the raids took place in Haringey, north London, while 90 resulted in equipment being seized.

Lambeth, south London, was the next biggest offender, with more than 50 raids on suspected pirates between April 2013 and March this year.

"It's not about raising revenue," Clive Corrie, Ofcom's head of spectrum enforcement, told the Standard. "It's about protecting the spectrum from harmful interference.

"Last year Ofcom received 53 complaints of interference to aviation services - ground-to-air radio location and radio navigation systems."

Of the 53 complaints, 48 related to the London area.

Mr Corrie added the problem was largely confined to the capital, though the reason for this has experts at something of a loss.

"It's a big problem, especially in London," he said. "There are about 70 active stations in the London area. In the whole of the UK we've got something like just over 100.

"From the enquiries we've carried out, this problem doesn't exist in New York or Rome or Paris - it's a London phenomenon."

Full article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/four-hundred-pirate-radio-stations-shut-down-in-london-in-just-two-years-10362974.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jordan

• View Profile
"From the enquiries we've carried out, this problem doesn't exist in New York or Rome or Paris - it's a London phenomenon."

Full article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/four-hundred-pirate-radio-stations-shut-down-in-london-in-just-two-years-10362974.html

I thought New York was the most active area in the US for pirate radio, according to the FCC.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I thought New York was the most active area in the US for pirate radio, according to the FCC.

It is, but London is located in the UK.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
I would not doubt those numbers named in the article Chris posted.

The attached link gives a nice overview of active vs. non active
FM-Pirates in London.
I counted 60 active FM Stations alone and who knows how many are uncounted for.

http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/radio/london-pirate-radio/
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I had a chance to hang out of a 10th story window on a flat in central London about 5 years ago, and can indeed vouche for the numbers.  I think from my one location with a walkman style radio I heard at least a dozen, and that radio only did odd channel steps, so who knows how much more is out there.  I do remember hearing stations ID'ing as 'Passion' 'Innacity' and 'Force' it was interesting to say the least.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns