We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 43 meter dipole  (Read 10022 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 43 meter dipole
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 2205 UTC »
I don't have enough room for a sloper off peak of the house. However I have alot of trees in back yard and enough room for just about anything. The coax run back to the house would be close to 150'. Any problems with a coax run that long?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 2208 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 2213 UTC »
I don't have enough room for a sloper off peak of the house. However I have alot of trees in back yard and enough room for just about anything. The coax run back to the house would be close to 150'. Any problems with a coax run that long?

Not if you use relatively good coax. I'd avoid RG58 and friends, RG-6 has less than half the loss. And you can probably pick it up for less money, and get it locally. My sloped folded dipole is way in the back as well, the run is probably 100 ft. And the run to my beverage is about 150 ft.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 1548 UTC »
Thanks a lot Chris, I like the idea of a folded dipole. That's the way I'm going to go. I looked up some reading material and came up with an article you wrote. Here is the link if anyone is interested, http://hfunderground.com/blog/?p=84

A few questions though before I start shopping for ladder line, baluns etc.

-What kind of wire are you using to attach Ladder Line to Balun? Probably doesn't matter much, but..(pic attached)
-Also, just out of curiosity, looking at images and reading up on folded dipoles the distance between the two elements is several inches instead of about the 1/4"
 distance between elements of Ladder line. It's working for you so I'm not overly concerned. (pic attached).

Ladder Line will probably have to be bought online.

This will keep me busy for a while!
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 1918 UTC »
Thanks a lot Chris, I like the idea of a folded dipole. That's the way I'm going to go. I looked up some reading material and came up with an article you wrote. Here is the link if anyone is interested, http://hfunderground.com/blog/?p=84

A few questions though before I start shopping for ladder line, baluns etc.

-What kind of wire are you using to attach Ladder Line to Balun? Probably doesn't matter much, but..(pic attached)
-Also, just out of curiosity, looking at images and reading up on folded dipoles the distance between the two elements is several inches instead of about the 1/4"
 distance between elements of Ladder line. It's working for you so I'm not overly concerned. (pic attached).

This will keep me busy for a while!

I just used regular 300 ohm twinlead. I bought it from one of the online ham stores, I originally used TV twinlead but it was mechanically weak, and got destroyed by the first storm. So you want something rugged.

The wires connecting to the twinlead are just regular hookup wire, and came with the balun I used.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 2243 UTC »
flexoman, this is the website i've been using in designing the one i'm gonna erect.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fd.html
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 0054 UTC »

Speaking of ladder line, especially if you transmit with 1KW or more, you can use electric fence tubular insulators as spacers for do-it-yourself ladder line, along with 14AWG insulated wire.
The insulators are available at Tractor Supply Company for just a few bucks for a box of 200.

I have successfully used the method discussed at this website:

http://www.w1aex.com/owl/owl.html
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 0058 UTC »
flexoman, this is the website i've been using in designing the one i'm gonna erect.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fd.html

I had a T2FD for many years, it worked quite well. It finally came down after some storms. Well, most of it, parts are still stuck in a tree.  But yes, an excellent performer. Mine was 132 ft long, although probably not tilted as much as it should be, due to lack of a really tall tree.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD