We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Winradio Excalibur & a Mac? Others?  (Read 3892 times)

Offline XN

• Texas Hill Country
    • View Profile
Winradio Excalibur & a Mac? Others?
« on: October 19, 2015, 0145 UTC »
Has anyone ever gotten a Winradio Excalibur to run reliably on a Mac? I tried installing the software via Parallels and it installed fine. All the "controls "work" but there is no signal to/through the receiver. The receiver works fine on a Windows box but I'd really like to take advantage of my iMac. Any success out there? How about an SDRplay? For that matter what combo of hardware and software seems to provide good solid performance with a Mac without much in the way of "advanced knowledge" about non-standard configurations? Is there anything that approaches plug N play?
Reasonable suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill K
Texas Hill Country
Winradio Excalibur
Grundig Satellit 800,
SDRPlay2 - SDRUno
Icom IC-746 Pro
Drake R-8
Sony ICF-2010 + other portables
Par EF-SWL,
120' LW, 50' random wire
JPS ANC-4, MFJ-616 Speech Enhancer

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Winradio Excalibur & a Mac? Others?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 1024 UTC »
IMHO the best SDR hardware for the Mac are the radios made by RF Space, along with the free app SdrDx. They just work, no convoluted setups.  Unlike most other SDR manufacturers, RF Space actually supports the Mac, and I prefer to send my business to companies that do that.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Cornel

• FF79QF
    • View Profile
Cordoba, Argentina.
JRC NRD-545, JRC NRD-525, FRT-7700, RTLSDR F0013, 40m of wire @ 8m, vertical whip on @ 7m

Offline XN

• Texas Hill Country
    • View Profile
Re: Winradio Excalibur & a Mac? Others?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 2304 UTC »
Thanks for the response, gentlemen.

I really like the Excalibur but I grind my teeth when I have to fire up the Windows box to use it.
I'll look into those recommendations. I appreciate your sharing.

Bill K
Winradio Excalibur
Grundig Satellit 800,
SDRPlay2 - SDRUno
Icom IC-746 Pro
Drake R-8
Sony ICF-2010 + other portables
Par EF-SWL,
120' LW, 50' random wire
JPS ANC-4, MFJ-616 Speech Enhancer