We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: faint signal @ 87.740mhz in NY  (Read 14289 times)

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
faint signal @ 87.740mhz in NY
« on: November 02, 2015, 0012 UTC »
barely receiving in Hampton Bays, NY on an outside dipole.
had to narrow filter to 150khz in in order to receive it slightly better (with obvious distortion).
unable to receive in vehicle as radio doesn't go below 87.9mhz.
I strongly believe this signal is originating from further west in Suffolk county, NY.
modulation is fm standard, not tv modulation, though this is analog tv audio for channel 6, off by 10khz (87.750) there are no analog tv stations in the tri-state area operating on channel 6 that I know of.
playing unidentified music, talking and heard what sounded like church music this morning, 11/1/15.
obviously, the lower their modulation, the better I hear them, which is how I identified church sounding music this morning (was able to listen on NFM @ 32Khz deviation)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 0015 UTC by EliteData »

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: faint signal @ 87.740mhz in NY
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 0138 UTC »
If it's any help there is an analog 6 here in Chicago called METV-FM (owned by the same owners as ME-TV) and they have pop music from 70's & 80's etc. I don't know if they have any Sunday religious programming since I don't listen to them. They are probably offset down too even though I don't think Chicago had historically been an offset city back in the analog days. Now of course with digital there is no offset, all carriers are 310khz above the bottom of the channel, such as 60.310mhz for chan 3 etc.   
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 1147 UTC »
If it's any help there is an analog 6 here in Chicago called METV-FM (owned by the same owners as ME-TV) and they have pop music from 70's & 80's etc. I don't know if they have any Sunday religious programming since I don't listen to them. They are probably offset down too even though I don't think Chicago had historically been an offset city back in the analog days. Now of course with digital there is no offset, all carriers are 310khz above the bottom of the channel, such as 60.310mhz for chan 3 etc.   
yes, thanks.
it appears its a LPFM station that was licensed during the LPFM craze a few years (i think its operating somewhere in Rego Park, NY ago but checking the frequency (87.0-87.9) on FCC shows no results.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 2254 UTC »
Elite - like you, I reside here in pukey New York State.  When I have occasionally dabbled on the FM band, I ALWAYS stay below 88 MHz.  I do that because the quirky way that the New York Anti-Radio Piracy law is written, the state has no jurisdiction below 88 MHz.  Better to dog the overworked Feds than the NYS Troopers.  I'm guessing that your neighbor is down there for similar reasons...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 2302 UTC »
Elite - like you, I reside here in pukey New York State.  When I have occasionally dabbled on the FM band, I ALWAYS stay below 88 MHz.  I do that because the quirky way that the New York Anti-Radio Piracy law is written, the state has no jurisdiction below 88 MHz.  Better to dog the overworked Feds than the NYS Troopers.  I'm guessing that your neighbor is down there for similar reasons...
correct.
NYS only has jurisdiction on the fm & am broadcast bands from 88-108 & 530-1700 respectively.
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2011/06/new-york-state-passes-anti-pirate-radio-law-s-5739-a-326/

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 0130 UTC »
@ff and @EliteData,
Now that is just plain crazy. Don't the politicians in NY state have anything better to do? They should go after the thieves of wall street that made so many people homeless, penniless, jobless, bankrupt and hopelessly in debt.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline Liberty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 1540 UTC »
Doesn't NYC have a channel 6? I could've swore they did and at one time was called Pulse 87.7

Offline radiocentral

• Finger Lakes Region NY State
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 2105 UTC »
WNDR 103.9 and 95.3 Syracuse NY is also broadcasting on 87.7 mHz. There are no listings for it to be currently on that frequency that I can find. Other stations can be doing the same.
Yaesu FT-450, Icom IC-718 IC-7300 End Fed 132  Inverted V, On Ground End Fed Wire, 22 ft Vertical Monopole

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 2226 UTC »
Doesn't NYC have a channel 6? I could've swore they did and at one time was called Pulse 87.7
i remember back in 2003 to 2006 working in bayside, queens, NY, i would hear what sounded like russian/chinese content and music at 87.7
there was color bars and the same music playing on TV channel 6 but the audio deviation was greater than 50Khz so the sound on the TV was distorted but not on the radio.
not sure if this is the same thing i am hearing now.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns