We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 98.1 FM Tubac/Tucson KTBX, "Mysterious, ad-free radio"  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
98.1 FM Tubac/Tucson KTBX, "Mysterious, ad-free radio"
« on: November 06, 2015, 0141 UTC »
"Mysterious, ad-free radio station draws local fans"

http://www.nogalesinternational.com/news/mysterious-ad-free-radio-station-draws-local-fans/article_6d04f752-a310-11e4-bb3c-2bfcde567899.html

"“Hello, Mr. Radio, you friendly station,” Electric Light Orchestra frontman Jeff Lynne plaintively sang Wednesday afternoon on Tubac’s 98.1 FM. “So glad of your company, your morning music.”

What followed in the programming lineup were lesser-known songs by some of the most successful artists of the 60s, 70s and 80s, as well as music from acts that never broke through to fame or achieved staying power. What the programming didn’t include were advertisements, nor the voice of any DJ or on-air personality. Just music and an occasional, mandatory announcement of the station’s KTBX call letters. All day.

That formula has drawn a loyal and growing following in Santa Cruz County, but also curiosity about how such a station, which takes in no ad revenue, can stay on the air."

Anyone in the Tucson general area (faint, but completely audible in my car and ICF2010) down to Tubac should check out this station if they like B-side, obscure (for the most part), ad-free 60's-70's rock. This is a killer station, it seems like the owner is some kind of eccentric who makes stations like this and then sells some of them? I've been searching for info -- no website AFAIK. Playing Badfinger and Gallow's Pole (Zep) now but they go all over the map. I wish more rich people (?) would do things like this, it's a big improvement to the local airwaves. No announcements except the call sign and no ads... it's like what I imagine early 70's FM to have been.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 0144 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 98.1 FM Tubac/Tucson KTBX, "Mysterious, ad-free radio"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 1928 UTC »
It sounds like a similar situation in my area. Big local media guys A and B have straw man non-profits apply for LPFM licenses, then gives them prime antenna space on their towers. All they play is a pre-programmed mix of what would have been played on college radio stations in the 70's, 80's, and 90's with zero commercials.

With the height from the commercial towers those LPFM transmitters can put out one hell of a signal.

Here's the catch, it's a back-assed way to let the same guys hold on to the spectrum until the LPFM thing pisses itself out.

It sounds like the fella in the article has been caught with his hand in the cookie jar once before.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: 98.1 FM Tubac/Tucson KTBX, "Mysterious, ad-free radio"
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 0723 UTC »
Thanks very much for the info Pigmeat. According to the FCC this station is putting out a feeble signal which reaches Tucson. The transmitter's in the Santa Rita mountains. The material they play is quite good, but you're right, it's pre-programmed  (from an interesting and curious collection). Your observations are spot on and  while I enjoy listening to KTBX,  Pirate Radio it is not.

Tucson's had a history of interesting FM pirates over the years: Radio Limbo and KRVL, two very different stations with different philosophies (and tech -- Limbo was very sophisticated), which are no more -- a lot of work to do when there's no $$$. Someone made a documentary about these stations ten years ago, "Making Waves."  Tapes I made of KRVL are still crucial for hilarity at late night parties. What more can you ask for, after a truly absurd alien base documentary, then Neil Young singing "and I dreamed I saw the silver space ship...all in a dream, the loading had begun...", etc.
Film trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRp6cPZfTXY
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 0729 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns